Easy Taco Soup Recipe
This easy Taco Soup recipe is a cinch to prepare! Make it on your stove top OR in a crock pot, either way it’s always a crowd favorite!
Taco Soup is one of those recipes that comes along in your life and you wonder, “where has this recipe been all my life?!”
I first learned about Taco Soup from my friend Jess, author of other wondrous recipes including this Lemon Bundt Cake and my favorite Thai Peanut Chicken. If Jess makes it, it’s definitely delicious without being fussy.
Taco Soup is pretty common these days, but back then I was completely blown away. All the tasty flavors of tacos eaten in a bowl without the messiness of eating actual tacos!
Just put some tortilla chips in a bowl, ladle the soup on top, and garnish with all your favorite taco toppings such as cheese, avocado, sour cream, black olives, and scallions.
But what really sold me was the simple preparation. Aside from browning the ground beef, you are pretty much just opening and dumping cans and adding spices (I always make my own taco seasoning and ranch seasoning mix).
The quickest way to make Taco Soup is to just simmer everything on your stove top for 30 minutes. If you’d rather make it in a slow cooker, combine the browned beef with everything else in your crockpot, cover, and heat on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours.
Save this Taco Soup to your “Soups and Stews” Pinterest board!
And let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always pinning tasty recipes!
Easy Taco Soup Recipe
Yield: 12 servings
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 35 min
Total Time: 40 min
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- 3 cups water
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, undrained
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole kernel corn, undrained
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles, undrained
- 2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning or 1 packet store bought
- 1 recipe homemade ranch dressing mix or 1 packet store bought
- Tortilla chips and toppings, for serving
- In a Dutch Oven or large stock pot over medium-high heat, cook ground beef and onion until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Add water, beans, tomatoes, corn, chiles, and all juices from cans. Stir in taco seasoning and ranch seasoning.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 30 minutes. Or, transfer to a slow cooker, cover, and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
- To serve, place tortilla chips in the bottom of a bowl and ladle soup over the chips. Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, or other toppings as desired.