A taco salad with beef, cheese, lots of fresh veggies, and Doritos! Enjoy Dorito Taco Salad again or try it for the first time. You’ll love it either way!
Taco Salads are ideal because you get all the flavors of crunchy tacos without the mess. They are easy to make and fun to serve and everyone loves eating them.
For a party, though, your standard Taco Salad needs a kick. Crunchy Doritos and French Dressing add a little something extra that makes the whole salad feel less like, well, a salad.
I learned about Dorito Taco Salad late in my mid-20’s during the era of Dance Club USA.
Dance Club USA, you say? Basically, my friends and I were all engaged and planning weddings. We would get together in my basement in Wisconsin and make up coordinated dances to popular songs WHICH we performed at all of our weddings.
It is exactly as cool/lame as it sounds.
Dance Club USA always started with lots of food and wine, potluck-style. My friend Jess brought Dorito Taco Salad and I was pretty excited about it.
Why we thought it was a good idea to eat and drink BEFORE dancing into the middle of the night, I’ll never know. Blame it on the ignorance of youth.
These days, I make a smaller batch when my kids are BEGGING for Doritos but I want to balance them with something less offensive. Not pretending this is a healthy meal option!
It IS, however, always a hit at parties. If people have had Dorito Taco Salad in the past, they might be excited to try it again. If they’ve never had it, they just might fall in love.
It makes the most giant batch ever and it won’t keep overnight, so your best plan is to make sure everyone eats his or her fair share. :)
Dorito Taco Salad
For the French dressing:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar or less to taste
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
For the salad:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning or 1 packet store-bought
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 head lettuce shredded
- 1 pint grape tomatoes halved
- 1 bell pepper sliced or chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 bag Nacho Cheese Doritos crushed
To make the French dressing:
- In a food processor or blender, add sugar, ketchup, olive oil, white vinegar, celery seed, chili powder, onion powder, paprika, and salt to taste (I like 1 teaspoon). Process until smooth. Store covered in the refrigerator until serving time, up to 4 days in advance.
To make the salad:
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground beef until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain well. Stir in taco seasoning and water and simmer until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, add lettuce, tomatoes, bell pepper, cheese and beef mixture. Toss to combine. Right before serving, add Doritos and salad dressing and toss to combine.
- French Dressing: Substitute for 1 cup store-bought French dressing.