To make the best homemade Italian Dressing, upgrade red wine vinaigrette with lots of zesty flavors and Parmesan cheese! Warning: You may want to drink it.
Some things taste better store-bought. Not very many things, but some things.
My secret store-bought guilty pleasure? Boxed brownies. I’m obsessed.
But salad dressing? No thanks, not ever. No matter what you say or what evidence you offer, I will never believe that a store-bought salad dressing tastes better than something you can make yourself.
This homemade Italian salad dressing really is the best, and it beats the pants of Wishbone or Paul Newman or The Olive Garden “house dressing.”
And yes, obviously it’s easy. I wouldn’t ask you to make salad dressing if it involved scalded milk, yeast, or a Dutch oven.
Normally, I just make Red Wine Vinaigrette. It’s a 5-ingredient phenomenon that I could eat endlessly. However, I stumbled into this shiny new Homemade Italian Dressing while upgrading the sauce for my California Pasta Salad.
It was love at first sight.
Add 5 more ingredents (3 seeds, parprika, and parmesan) and you get a gorgeous orange color, fun textures, and tons of zesty flavor.
You’ll want to eat this on everything!
The Best Homemade Italian Dressing Recipe
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste start with 1/4 teaspoon (I use 1/2 teaspoon each)
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine oil, vinegar, Parmesan cheese, garlic, sesame seeds, oregano, poppy seeds, paprika, celery seed, and garlic powder. Shake vigorously and allow flavors to blend at room temperature.