To make the best homemade Italian Dressing, upgrade red wine vinaigrette with lots of zesty flavors and Parmesan cheese! It's even better than the stuff at Olive Garden.
I will never believe that a store-bought salad dressing tastes better than something you can make yourself. It just DOESN'T. Whether it's ranch dressing or blue cheese or French, homemade is ALWAYS better.
This homemade Italian salad dressing really is the best, and it beats the pants of Wishbone or Paul Newman or The Olive Garden "house dressing."
So bust open your pantry and grab a whisk! Let's make some dressing.
How do you make Italian Dressing from scratch?
Whisk it in a bowl, shake it in a jar, blitz it in a blender. Here's what you need:
- Olive oil. I like extra virgin.
- Vinegar. I like red wine vinegar, but white wine vinegar is nice too.
- Parmesan cheese. Grated works well here.
- Lemon juice. Throw in the zest if you feel like it.
- Honey. A touch of sweetness. You can also use agave nectar.
- Dijon mustard. For flavor and emulsification. Brown mustard is good too.
- Dried spices. I like a mixture of dried basil, oregano, and parsley. You could substitute 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning.
- Garlic. I use dried garlic powder here because it's convenient and safer.
How long can you keep homemade Italian dressing?
This dressing will be good for up to a week in the refrigerator. If you want something that can last longer, leave out the Parmesan cheese and sprinkle it on your salad in the moment.
Put your salad dressing to work:
- Easy Cold Pasta Salad
- Greek Pasta Salad
- California Pasta Salad
- Mediterranean Chopped Salad
- Italian Antipasto Salad
- Mediterranean Lentil Salad
The Best Homemade Italian Dressing Recipe
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove minced fresh garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, honey, Dijon mustard, basil, oregano, parsley, and garlic powder. Season to taste with salt and pepper (I like 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper). Store covered in the refrigerator.