This Easy Taco Dip belongs on your permanent party menu! Make everything ahead and assemble it at the last minute. Ideal for a crowd and for Cinco de Mayo!
Where I grew up, a party isn't really a party if we don't have Taco Dip.
Considering the low effort that goes in to making it and the high return on deliciousness, there is really no excuse not to make it for every event, ever.
All the components can be made ahead of time and assembled at the last minute. In fact, the cream cheese mixture tastes better if it sits overnight!
For the ultimate crunchy, wholesome chip experience, dig in with Food Should Taste Good™ Cantina Tortilla Chips.
The base is made of cream cheese, sour cream, and taco seasoning. And let me tell you, that combo is pretty good on it's own, too! So if you forgot to buy all the toppings when you went to the store, have a party for yourself with just the cream cheese blend and the chips.
I like to make my own homemade taco seasoning, but a packet of store-bought is fine, too.
You know what's not included? Lettuce.
In a previous career, my boss lobbied heavily against the use of lettuce in taco dip. I'll spare you the sordid details, but let's just say that lettuce gets soggy and lends little-to-no nutritional value.
The rest of the toppings can be mixed and matched according to your preferences. I like tomatoes, green peppers, black olives, and green onions.
Make It Ahead
Taco Dip is a great make-ahead appetizer. Blend the cream cheese mixture and refrigerate it overnight. The flavors have more time to blend and then you're that much closer to your goal of Food is Done. Plus, if you have to travel (i.e., take Taco Dip to your boss at work for his birthday), you can travel with all the components packaged separately. CONVENIENT.
To drink, I'm pouring Corona and squeezing limes. The acid in the beer cuts right through the richness of the dip and it's just perfect, especially for Cinco de Mayo!
Easy Taco Dip Recipe
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese softened
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning or 1 packet store-bought
Toppings (choose your favorites):
- 2 cups shredded lettuce see notes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium tomato seeded and diced
- 1 small green pepper stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 2 scallions sliced
- jalapeño chiles sliced (pickled or fresh)
- In a large bowl, add cream cheese, sour cream, and taco seasoning. Mix well until combined.
- Spread cream cheese mixture in the bottom of a shallow pie plate or 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish. Top with lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, peppers, and olives or your own preferred toppings. Serve with tortilla chips.
To make ahead:
- The entire dip can be made and refrigerated ahead of time (see my recipe notes about the perils of shredded lettuce, though!).
- Or, blend the cream cheese, sour cream, and taco seasoning the night before and refrigerate. All vegetables may be chopped or sliced and refrigerated in covered containers until assembly time.