Bake your own Homemade Tortilla Chips in 10 minutes! Extra thin tortillas ensure crunchy snacks every time, perfect for salsa and guacamole. Or, scroll down for details on deep-frying tortilla chips.
Craving something salty? Me too.
Luckily, you can bake up your own Homemade Tortilla Chips in just 10 minutes! These are so good, you might never go back to store-bought.
How to Make Tortilla Chips
The first step to crunchy Homemade Tortilla Chips is to use extra-thin tortillas.
My favorite are Mission brand extra-thin corn tortillas. I've seen them at Target, Walmart, and Ralph's.
How to Make Tortilla Chips in the Oven
I suggest baking the tortilla chips for about 6 minutes, then flipping them. Bake them for an additional 6 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant.
Under bake them, and they'll come out chewy. Over bake them, and they'll start to scorch.
If after 10 minutes they still seem chewy, put them in for a minute longer or so. Just keep a close eye on them. If they appear scorched, they will probably still taste great, so don't worry too much.
How to Fry Tortilla Chips
Baked tortilla chips are healthier, but deep-fried tortilla chips taste better.
If you decide you want to take a walk on the wild side, get out your deep-fryer, Dutch oven, or rimmed saute pan.
You can fry your chips in as little as 1 cup of oil (about 1/4-inch high) or as much as a couple of quarts if you want to do them all at once in your Dutch Oven.
Just be sure to get your oil to 350 degrees and try not to crowd the pot. Fry the chips for just a couple of minutes, until they are start to turn light brown, and then drain on paper towels.
I'm obsessed with the Chipotle chips (the restaurant), so I make tortilla chips with a spritz of lime and a sprinkle of salt. If you love as much as I do, go for coarse. Nothing makes me happier than seeing giant granules of salt on my tortilla chips.
Here is a complete list of the copycat Chipotle Salsa recipes (and their guacamole):
- Chipotle Tomato Salsa (mild)
- Chipotle Corn Salsa (medium)
- Chipotle Tomatillo Salsa (medium)
- Chipotle Hot Salsa
- Chipotle Guacamole
You can also put your Homemade Tortilla Chips to use in other ways:
- Top with lemon juice and paprika and dip into Hummus.
- Top with garlic salt and Parmesan cheese and dip into some Marinara Sauce or Spinach Dip.
- Enjoy some of the most popular recipes on my blog, Cowboy Caviar and Black Bean Salsa!
Homemade Tortilla Chips Recipe
- 24 extra-thin corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Oil (for frying only, see notes)
To bake the tortilla chips:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil for easy cleanup. Brush tortillas on one side with olive oil and arrange in stacks of 6. Cut each stack into 6 wedges.
- Spread tortilla wedges in a single layer on baking sheets and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 6 minutes, then use tongs to turn the chips over.
- Sprinkle again with salt. Bake an additional 6 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and serve.
To fry the tortilla chips:
- Heat oil to 350 degrees. Drop a few handfuls of chips in at a time and fry until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer to paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Repeat with remaining chips.
- If deep-frying the chips, you'll need 1 cup to 1 quart of oil (depending on the size of your pot and how many chips you want to fry at once). Use a flavorless oil with a high smoke point such as canola, corn, or grapeseed oil.