Chipotle Tomato Salsa (Copycat)
Chipotle Tomato Salsa is so easy to make, you hardly need a recipe! Mild in flavor, it only takes 5 ingredients to create this copycat recipe at home.
Back in January 2014, I started a quest to make all my Chipotle restaurant favorites at home.
After creating every possible configuration of chiles/powder/marinade/chicken meat/cooking method ever, I can now make the chipotle chicken with my eyes shut.
The cilantro-lime rice, grilled vegetables, and guacamole are also family favorites with a spot on our regular menu. These recipes have turned out to be some of the most popular on my blog, too, so apparently I’m not the only one obsessed.
And this Fresh Tomato Salsa is the easiest thing to make, so there’s really no excuse for why it took me so long to get it posted. Well, maybe there’s a little excuse.
Back to the salsa. The super quick, ultra fresh, healthy/vegan/gluten-free/paleo/anyone-can-eat-this salsa.
To have the best fresh tomato salsa, you need to start with the best, ripest tomatoes. For me, this usually means the vine-ripened tomatoes at my local grocery store. However, if it’s the right season and you have access to a garden or your local farmer’s market, even better! If you find ripe, juicy tomatoes a bit over-powering, beefsteak tomatoes will also work just fine without all the extra in-your-face tomato-ness.
To make this a true copycat recipe, use red onions. If you just want a hearty fresh tomato salsa, white or yellow onions are fine. Same on the peppers: Chipotle uses jalapeños, but I’m a huge fan of serrano peppers. If you don’t like spiciness at all, sub in a green bell pepper (Hi, Mom!).
As a cilantro fanatic, I fully endorse this herb. If you think cilantro tastes like soap, feel free to substitute fresh parsley (Hi, Mom!).
We’re almost there! A squeeze of real lime juice and a dash of salt and we’re done. Now you’re ready to dig in, Chipotle style. Add chips, add it to your favorite burrito bowl, pour it on tacos, eat it with grilled meat, eat it with a spoon. This fresh tomato salsa is ready to rock your summer!
Find all of the Chipotle Copycat Recipes on this site. Or, click here to subscribe to emails and receive all the recipes in a beautiful mobile-friendly eBook, FREE!
• Chipotle Chicken • Chipotle Steak • Chipotle Barbacoa (beef) • Chipotle Carnitas (pork) •
• Chipotle Sofritas (tofu) • Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice • Chipotle Black Beans • Chipotle Pinto Beans •
• Chipotle Fajita Vegetables • Chipotle Guacamole • Homemade Tortilla Chips •
• Chipotle Tomato Salsa (mild) • Chipotle Corn Salsa (medium) • Chipotle Tomatillo Salsa (medium) •
• Chipotle Hot Salsa (hot) • Chipotle Honey Vinaigrette (salad dressing) •
Save this Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice to your “Side Dishes” Pinterest board!
And let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always pinning tasty recipes!
Chipotle Tomato Salsa (Copycat)
- 1 pound tomatoes cut into ¼-inch pieces
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 jalapeno peppers seeded, stemmed, and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt to taste
- Chips for serving
- In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, jalapeno, and lime juice. Season to taste with salt.
Let stand at least 10 minutes at room temperature to blend flavors. Serve with chips.
Inspired by Chipotle.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information on my Affiliate and Advertising Policy, please click here.