This tastes JUST like Chipotle Tomatillo Salsa, their version of Salsa Verde. This medium-heat copycat recipe is easy, flavorful, and so delicious.
Fun fact: With just 14 ingredients, you can make ALL FOUR of Chipotle’s salsas.
But if that sounds exhausting to you, you can just pick your favorite. Chipotle’s Tomatillo Salsa is mine.
The only cooking here involves roasting the tomatillos. Technically you could skip that part and still wind up with an amazing salsa.
But, then you’d be missing out on:
- The lovely roasted flavor, and
- The fun charred black bits which color the finished salsa.
Once you’ve roasted the tomatillos, combine with jalapenos, red onion, garlic, a couple fresh tomatillos, and spices. Blast in a food processor or blender.
Season to taste with lemon and lime juices, salt, and pepper.
It’s a spot-on match!
Find all of the Chipotle Copycat Recipes on this site. Or, click here to subscribe to emails and receive all the recipes in a beautiful mobile-friendly eBook, FREE!
• Chipotle Chicken • Chipotle Steak • Chipotle Barbacoa (beef) • Chipotle Carnitas (pork) •
• Chipotle Sofritas (tofu) • Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice • Chipotle Black Beans • Chipotle Pinto Beans •
• Chipotle Fajita Vegetables • Chipotle Guacamole • Homemade Tortilla Chips •
• Chipotle Tomato Salsa (mild) • Chipotle Corn Salsa (medium) • Chipotle Tomatillo Salsa (medium) •
• Chipotle Hot Salsa (hot) • Chipotle Honey Vinaigrette (salad dressing) •
Save this Chipotle Tomatillo Salsa to your “Appetizers” Pinterest board!
And let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always pinning tasty recipes!
Chipotle Tomatillo Salsa Recipe (Copycat)
- 16 medium-sized tomatillos, plus 2 more, husks removed, sliced in half horizontally
- 1/2 tomato cut in large chunks
- 1 jalapenos seeds and stem removed
- 1/2 red onion cut large chunks
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves loosely packed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (1/2 t each to start)
- juice from one lemon about 1/4 cup
- juice from one lime about 1/4 cup
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the 32 halved tomatillos and the cut tomato skin-side down on the baking sheet. Bake until they begin to toast, about 20 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine the roasted tomatillos and tomatoes, jalapenos, red onion, garlic, cilantro, cumin and oregano. Add remaining 2 fresh tomatillos. Pulse until the mixture is slightly chunky. Add lemon and lime juices, and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information on my Affiliate and Advertising Policy, please click here.