These copycat Chipotle Pinto Beans are easy to make, inexpensive, and healthy! Add to burritos and salads or serve with rice for a tasty vegetarian meal.
"Black or pinto beans?"
Before Chipotle removed the pork from its pintos, this was an easy decision. Because bacon! But now there is no bacon and the beans are just is good, and life is full of tough choices.
How to Make Chipotle Pinto Beans
- First, sauté onions in oil.
- Next, add garlic, spices, chipotles in adobo for heat, and your beans.
- Add enough water to cover the beans, and then let them simmer.
- Finally, stir in fresh lemon and lime juice and season to taste with s&p.
Along with the bay leaf, you'll probably want to remove the chipotle chilis. Leave them in for a BIG spicy kick.
Are Chipotle Pinto Beans Vegan?
Yes, they are. Just have a look at the ingredient statement and see for yourself.
What can I do with my leftover Chipotle peppers and/or adobo sauce?
Transfer to a bag and freeze for future use, or use in:
- Chicken Tinga
- Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
- Chipotle Chicken (copycat)
- Chipotle Barbacoa (copycat)
- Chipotle Steak (copycat)
- Chipotle Sofritas (tofu)
- Chipotle honey vinaigrette (copycat)
- Chipotle black beans (copycat)
Chipotle Pinto Beans Recipe (Copycat)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or rice bran oil (see notes)
- 1 medium onion minced
- 16 ounces dried pinto beans rinsed and sorted
- 2 chipotle peppers plus 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (see notes)
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups water (enough to cover beans)
- lemon juice
- lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a Dutch oven or large pot over medium high heat, heat oil until shimmering. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add beans, chipotle pepeprs and adobo sauce, garlic, cumin, oregano, and bay leaf. Add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until beans are tender, about 2 hours.
- Remove from heat. Remove chipotle chilies if desired and bay leaf. Stir in lemon and lime juices, and season to taste with salt and pepper.