Sweet Potato Hash with Bacon
Simple ingredients cooked in delicious ways: That’s what this Sweet Potato Hash is all about. Your new favorite breakfast, brunch, and dinner!
My friend Becca is one of those people who makes you LEAP at a dinner invitation.
Her food is always simple yet inspired, and so delicious, you don’t even have a sufficient superlative with which to praise her. She creates her masterpieces with whole, unprocessed foods, and I find myself wanting to emulate her lifestyle every time I leave her house.
Sweet Potato Hash with Bacon and Red Peppers is one of her dishes, and it truly embodies her cooking style and everything I love about her food.
My husband Jim has his own way of describing Becca’s cooking: “I think she uses Black Magic. Somehow, she is able to take something like red peppers, which I hate, and transform them in her Sweet Potato Hash, which I cannot stop eating.”
All of her cooking is like this. When you try to crack the code, you discover that she is using the very best ingredients she can find and cooking them in simple, yet delicious, ways.
Warning: There will be bacon.
Fry some bacon. Reserve some bacon fat.
Cook vegetables in bacon fat. Cook eggs in reserved bacon fat.
Add a piece of rustic grilled bread. It’s all just so delicious. Doesn’t that sound delicious?
Season your food often! Season at all the steps and taste as you go. Start with simple, high-quality ingredients, taste as you go, and you’ll be amazed at how good your food is!
Save this Sweet Potato Hash with Bacon to your “Breakfast” Pinterest board!
And let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always pinning tasty recipes!
Sweet Potato Hash with Bacon
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time:20 min
Cook Time:40 min
Total Time:1 hour
- 8 ounces bacon
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 loaf crusty bread, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 eggs
- In a large skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a napkin-lined plate. Poor off 3 tablespoons bacon fat and reserve for frying the eggs; leave remaining bacon fat in the skillet.
- Add onion, red pepper, ¼ teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in sweet potatoes, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and the sweet potatoes begin to brown, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Finely chop fried bacon. Stir chopped bacon and thyme in to skillet. Taste for seasonings and add additional salt and pepper if desired. Turn heat to low and cover to keep warm.
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Spread each slice of bread with 1 teaspoon butter on one side and place butter-side down in the skillet to grill. Heat until lightly golden brown. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm while preparing the eggs.
- Heat reserved bacon fat in a nonstick skillet and fry eggs to desired doneness. This may be done with all eggs at once or in batches. Season the eggs to taste with salt and pepper.
- To assemble, place grilled bread on a plate. Spoon about ½ cup Sweet Potato and Bacon Hash on top of the bread, then top with a fried egg. Serve immediately.