Updated Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows is delicious without being too sweet or too soggy. Add this classic Thanksgiving side dish to your menu!
Sweet Potato Casserole has a lot of opportunities to go horribly wrong.
The mashed sweet potatoes can be water-logged and overpowered by cinnamon and nutmeg. The marshmallow topping can be chalky and dry. The whole thing can feel like an exercise in bad nostalgic cooking.
Or, Sweet Potato Casserole can be carefully balanced between savory and sweet with a crispy marshmallow topping that looks as good as it tastes.
How do you cook sweet potatoes for casserole?
The best way to cook sweet potatoes for casserole is to steam them in cream and butter instead of boiling them in water. That way, they get more flavorful and have a firmer texture without getting water-logged.
How do you make sweet potato casserole with marshmallows?
Once the sweet potatoes are tender are creamy, stir in some cream cheese. I like the tanginess of cream cheese better than using more cream, evaporated milk, or eggs for thickening.
How do you make Sweet Potato Casserole with marshmallows?
Because mini marshmallows are coated in cornstarch to keep them from sticking together, they often bake up dry and chalky.
Instead, use large marshmallows sliced in half (the same way you might slice up a hot dog, but just cut the marshmallows in to two pieces).
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 7 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 8 tablespoons butter cut into 8 pieces (1 stick)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, combine the sweet potatoes, heavy cream, butter, sugar, 1 ½ teaspoons salt, and ¾ teaspoon pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until potatoes are soft and beginning to breakdown, about 30 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until the potatoes are tender and the liquid has been absorbed, about 25 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 450 degrees and place a rack in the upper-middle position.
- Add cream cheese to sweet potato mixture and mash until thoroughly incorporated and smooth. Stir constantly until potatoes are thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and spoon the mixture into a 3-quart baking dish. Add marshmallows in a single layer and bake until have browned, about 5 minutes.