Make breakfast a little more delicious with this fool-proof Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole with sausage and cheese. Guaranteed to please the whole family!
This Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole is one of the last meals we had in Wisconsin over our winter vacation. My mother-in-law made her delicious version for breakfast and we all gobbled it down, even the kids!
That’s when you know a recipe is a winner: When the toddler and baby can’t get enough.
While my mother-in-law made hers in a combination of stove-top and oven, I decided to go all in with the oven method. Or more accurately: Trial and error got me there.
She sent along a photocopy of a recipe that inspired her version, but between my fuzzy memory and the fading xerox print, things got interesting.
I ultimately ended up adapting my favorite Hash Brown Quiche recipe which, incidentally, is from her sister.
Those Minnesotans. They sure know how to cook up frozen hash brown potatoes.
This recipe calls for cooked breakfast sausage. You can buy it precooked, or you can cook up some raw links. Cool them slightly before handling. I prefer the taste and texture of sausages that I cook myself. For convenience, you can definitely cook and chop them in advance (a day or two before).
In order to make sure your hash browns transform into a delicious, crispy crust, you’ll want to pre-bake them in the oven. You can use either a pie plate or an oven-proof skillet. Cast iron works great, if you have it.
Once the crust is golden brown around the edges, pour some whisked eggs over the top. Then, top with a mixture of chopped sausage links, cheddar cheese, and scallions.
Or, top it with whatever you want. I am currently dreaming of a version with turkey, feta, and tomatoes. Definitely need to get that on the menu!
Save this Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole with Sausage to your “Breakfast” Pinterest board!
And let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always pinning tasty recipes!
Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole with Sausage
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes thawed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 6 eggs
- 12 breakfast sausage links browned, drained, and chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions or chives
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat a pie plate or oven-safe skillet with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine hash browns, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss to combine. Drizzle with the melted butter.
- Press into the bottom of the prepared pie plate. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs together and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine sausage, cheese, and scallions.
- Pour the eggs over the baked hash brown crust. Top with the sausage and cheese mixture. Return to the oven and bake an additional 25 to 30 minutes, or until the eggs are set. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information on my Affiliate and Advertising Policy, please click here.