Curried Couscous Salad is as easy as boiling water. Literally! It’s also DELICIOUS with sweet, salty, spicy, crunchy, and chewy flavors, all in one bowl!
Ready to impress your family and friends with an exotic, fancy side dish?
Ready to spend about 15 minutes making it, and doing nothing more complicated than boiling water?
Sometimes I make recipes *despite the fact* that they are quick and easy. Curried Couscous has just enough going on that I don’t get bored while making it. And the flavors going on here? Out of this world.
First, the couscous. The bulk of the flavor in this salad comes from the couscous just do the sheer quantity of it. Start by pouring boiling water over couscous in a bowl and covering it with plastic wrap for 5 minutes. There: You’re done cooking.
Meanwhile, mix up a curry sauce (with turmeric) to color and flavor the couscous. Add yogurt for richness (regular or Greek yogurt), a splash of red wine vinegar for bite, and olive oil.
Next, the toppings. Sweet and tart dried cranberries, crunchy almonds and carrots fresh red onions and scallions. It’s a magical combination, I swear!
And if you are thinking, wow that looks just too weird for me, remember my kids eat this stuff. Maybe they’re as crazy as I am, or maybe Curried Couscous Salad is just that good.
Curried Couscous Salad
- 2 cups couscous
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup yogurt (Greek or regular)
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup grated or finely diced carrots
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onions
- 3 scallions. thinly sliced
- Place the couscous and butter in a medium bowl. Pour the boiling water over the top and stir until the butter has melted. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let set for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine olive oil, yogurt, red wine vinegar, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon curry powder, and 1/4 teaspoon turmeric. Whisk until smooth.
- Fluff couscous with a fork and pour in yogurt sauce. Stir until couscous is evenly coated. Mix in carrots, cranberries, almonds, red onions, and scallions. Serve at room temperature.