Your new favorite Chinese Chicken Salad! The best mix of salad ingredients paired with a homemade Asian salad dressing so good, you’ll lick the bowl.
Today, I’d like to celebrate the staying power of cabbage in your refrigerator.
Compared to lettuce? It will sit in the drawer for weeks! Happy as a clam. No wilting, molding, or complaining.
If you have one knocking around in your drawer, let’s put it to use. If you don’t, pick one up. Maybe in a month you’ll want to make this salad!
As a rule, Chinese Chicken Salads vary wildly in ingredients. Some contain every imaginable ingredient that might possibly be tasty: Carrots, bell peppers, bean sprouts, edamame, celery, bok choy, mushrooms, pea pods, scallions, nuts, noodles, wonton strips, seeds, the works.
Too many things! I prefer to focus on just a few: A small but mighty selection of nutrition, protein, and color.
Top it off with the best, tastiest, easiest, most addictive Asian Salad Dressing ever. Made with mostly pantry ingredients, you can use this one as a marinade, too! It’s FANTASTIC.
If you have trouble finding Napa cabbage, both Savoy cabbage and regular green cabbage will work. Although if you can’t find Napa, you probably won’t find Savoy. Right?!
Chinese Chicken Salad Recipe
For the Asian salad dressing:
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger grated
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
For the salad:
- 4 cups cooked chicken shredded or diced
- 1 pound Napa cabbage cored and finely shredded (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups red cabbage cored and finely shredded
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 bunch scallions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro minced
- 1 cup chow mein noodles
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds for garnish, optional
To make the Asian salad dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, ginger, and sesame oil. Allow flavors to blend at room temperature while preparing the rest of the salad. Or, store covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
To make the salad:
- In a large bowl, add chicken, green and red cabbage, carrots, scallions, and cilantro. Drizzle with salad dressing and toss to combine. Sprinkle with chow mein noodles and sesame seeds, if using.