Where I come from, this salad is called Piggly Wiggly Salad, or just Piggly Wiggly. In my family, we never confuse the salad with the grocery store.
This easy, delicious salad is full of fresh broccoli, cauliflower, red onions, a full pound of bacon, and shredded cheddar cheese.
All of that is smothered in a 3-ingredient dressing that is creamy, sweet, and tangy all at once.
Easy Broccoli and Cauliflower Prep
To cut down on the potentially daunting task of preparing 4 cups each of broccoli and cauliflower, I used a single 2-pound bag of broccoli and cauliflower florets from my local grocery store’s produce area. I still did a little chopping to make the florets bite-sized, but it was fast, easy work. I even had enough broccoli leftover to make this delicious pasta salad.
A cautionary tale: One time I tried to chop my broccoli and cauliflower in a food processor. The finely ground veggies were still tasty, but the salad looked all wrong. You can do it, but you don’t really save THAT much time. In my opinion? Not worth it.
Easy Dressing Prep
The dressing is super simple too: Mayonnaise (or Miracle Whip), sugar, and vinegar. That’s it. Whisk it all together and pour it over the top, and you’re good to go!
A word on the dressing: This recipe makes A LOT of dressing. Probably more than you need… but this is how Mom makes it! If calories or sugar or fat has ever crossed your mind, you can easily get away with making just half the dressing. You’ll still have plenty.
Easy Bacon Prep
You can also use the pre-cooked, pre-crumbled bacon (as long as it’s the REAL stuff, no crunchies!). I substituted 8 ounces and the salad had plenty of bacon. The nice thing about this salad (and salads in general) is you can really just make it up as you go along. Want more bacon? Add more bacon.
Be prepared to hand out the recipe at your next party. Unless you are in the Midwest, then your guests probably already have it!
Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Cheese
- 4 cups bite-sized broccoli florets from 2 bunches
- 4 cups bite-sized cauliflower florets from 1 head
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pound bacon fried and crumbled (see notes)
- 1 cup red onion diced
- 2 cups mayonnaise (see notes)
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- In a large bowl, combine broccoli, cauliflower, onion, cheese, and bacon. In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sugar, and vinegar.
- Pour mayonnaise mixture over the salad ingredients and toss well until evenly coated.
- Feel free to substitute 1 cup of real bacon crumbles (the pre-cooked ones from the store) instead of cooking and crumbling bacon yourself.
- This recipe make A LOT of dressing (that's the way Mom makes it!). If you count calories, consider using half the mayonnaise, sugar, and vinegar for a smaller amount of dressing overall.