The Best Macaroni Salad Recipe
This is my Grandma’s recipe and the BEST Macaroni Salad, ever. It has everything you want: Ham, bacon, cheese, eggs, veggies, and a creamy dressing!
If bananas are nature’s perfect food, Macaroni Salad is man’s perfect food.
I mean, it contains ALL the food groups and nothing could be more fun to eat.
I have a special place in my heart for macaroni salad. The best one I ever ate was from the long-gone Al’s Town and Country Market in Oxford, a tiny Wisconsin town with a population of 400 or fewer.
Al’s macaroni salad was just the right balance of juiciness and chew with carefully selected ingredients that just made my heart sing. Whenever we went to Oxford, we would get a small carton of Al’s macaroni salad and fight over who got the egg, the tomato, whatever it may be.
My second favorite macaroni salad, ever, is from my Grandma. Hers is also spectacular, and that’s the one I’m sharing with you today.
It has everything you might want and expect in The Best Macaroni Salad recipe: Ham, bacon, cheese, hard-boiled eggs, lots of veggies, and a sweet and tangy, cream dressing. And of course, plenty of macaroni!
The dressing is a lot like the one on Piggly Wiggly Salad, another Midwestern classic side dish. It’s mayonnaise, sugar, and vinegar. Can’t go wrong with that!
This Macaroni Salad recipe is best served the day it’s made. I reserve a small amount of dressing in the fridge so I can “freshen up” the salad if it needs it. The dressing tends to soak in after a while, and you want this macaroni salad to be, as my Grandma puts it, juicy.
Although I recommend eating it the day it’s made, all the components can be prepped and stored separately in the refrigerator the day before (even the dressing).
If you have leftover ham, here’s a great way to put it to use. Otherwise, you can probably buy an 8-ounce package of diced ham at your grocery store (in the meat section, near the bacon), which means you don’t have to limit this creamy macaroni salad to post-Easter and post-Christmas.
I hope you enjoy the recipe! It’s a staple at all events in our family, from holidays to birthdays to lunch and brunch.
And it always reminds me of Al’s Town and Country Market.
Save The Best Macaroni Salad to your
“Side Dishes” Pinterest board!
And let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always pinning tasty recipes!
The Best Macaroni Salad Recipe
- 1 pound elbow macaroni or other small pasta
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 8 ounces ham diced
- 4 hard-boiled eggs sliced
- 6 slices bacon fried and crumbled
- 5 stalks celery sliced
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 red pepper seeded and diced
- 4 scallions sliced
- In a large pot, bring 4 quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil. Add pasta and cook until tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Drain well and rinse with cold water.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- Pour pasta into a large bowl. Add cheese, ham, bacon, eggs, celery, broccoli, pepper, and scallions. Stir to combine.
- Add most of the salad dressing and toss until evenly coated, reserving a small amount to refresh the salad if it needed.
All components (including the dressing) can be assembled ahead of time such as the night before. Just toss everything together in a large bowl right before serving.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information on my Affiliate and Advertising Policy, please click here.