Roasting cashews brings out their soft, sweet flavor and adds a little extra crunch in the process. It’s easy to learn how to roast cashews and it will up your cooking game with very little effort.
The smoothest operator in the nut kingdom, cashews are even better when lightly roasted. Perfect in cookies, breakfast smoothies, or grain-based salads, cashews are easy to love.
Thankfully, it’s easy to do in the oven, on the stove, or even in the microwave. Set your ovens to 350, and let’s roast some cashews!
What makes cashews special:
Cashews are the seed of a tropical evergreen tree native to Central America, the Caribbean, and northern South America, but were brought across the oceans by the Portuguese.
Today, cashews are a prominent part of Indian, Thai, and Vietnamese cuisines. And of course, a nut mix wouldn’t be complete without them! Interestingly, the shell of the cashew contains oils that make people react much like poison ivy, so cashews always come shelled. That doesn’t mean that cashews are poisonous, however; they just have an irritating outer layer.
Cashews can be somewhat more expensive, so it pays to shop around for the most competitive cashew nut price. Look for cashews at larger box stores and reliable online shops, which are more likely to have a fresh supply of cashews.
Nutritional information of cashews:
One ounce of raw cashews (about 16 to 18 nuts) has about 160 calories, 12 grams of fat, 5 grams of protein, and .9 grams of fiber.
Cashew nut health benefits:
As with other nuts and nut butters, eating cashews lowers the risk of weight gain. Cashews are lower in fat than other nuts, but are still an excellent source of heart-healthy, monounsaturated fats, copper and other antioxidants, and magnesium for healthy bones and stabilized blood pressure.
How to eat cashews:
Roasted cashews and raw cashews are popular eaten as-is, right out of the bag. But they’re so great in recipes, too! Sprinkle some over Chicken Tikka Masala and rice, or add chopped, roasted cashews to a Curried Quinoa Salad or Homemade Granola.
How to Roast Cashews
- 1 cup cashews
How to roast cashews in the oven:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or foil for easy cleanup.
- Roast for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and chop or use as desired. Or, store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
How to roast cashews on the stove:
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat cashews until browned and fragrant stirring frequently, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from skillet and chop or use as desired. Or, store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
How to roast cashews in the microwave:
- On a microwave-safe plate, spread cashews in a single, even layer
- Microwave in 1-minute intervals until lightly golden and toasted.