Clearly I am surrounded by fabulous cooks. I frequently post recipes that originated with a friend or family member, and those recipes are some of the best I know. This Slow Cooker Shredded Turkey is no exception, hailing from a frequent contributor to my recipe collection, my friend Jessi. I am pretty sure this recipe is from her mother, but either way, they both make great food and I am constantly asking them for recipes. You’ll be especially glad I snagged this one!
Slow Cooker Shredded Turkey is easy, even by Slow Cooker recipe standards. It’s great for a crowd but a little more special than the baked ham showing up on so many party menus. Your guests will fawn over the delicious buttery sauce - it’s up to you whether you want to tell them an entire stick of butter goes in to the slow cooker! They will probably enjoy it more if you don’t!
The shredded turkey is delicious on sandwiches, but you could even use this recipe for Thanksgiving (I usually do). Free up your oven by cooking your turkey in a slow cooker! It may sound strange, but I guarantee you won’t have any dry meat if you do.
I’ve made this enough times to learn a few tricks I am happy to pass along to you. First, you can use a smaller turkey breast than 8 – 10 lbs., although that’s certainly the size you’ll want for a crowd. But let’s say it’s just a few of you, and maybe all you want is a 2 – 3 lb. turkey breast. You can keep all the sauce ingredients the same. Personally, I cut the butter in half for a smaller bird, but obviously the resulting sauce is not quite as buttery. One more thing! It’s okay if your beer is flat. It’s crazy that I know that, but I do. I tried it. It’s just as delicious.
- 1 (12 oz.) can light beer
- 1 pkg. onion soup mix
- 1 tsp. white pepper
- 3 tsp. dried parsley
- 2 T. chicken bouillon base
- 8 – 10 lb. turkey breast
- 1 stick butter, cubed
- 2 – 3 T. cornstarch, optional
- Pour beer into slow cooker and turn on low heat. Stir in soup mix, pepper, parsley, and soup base.
- Place turkey breast in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove turkey breast from slow cooker and take off skin. Separate meat from the bones, discarding bones. Add meat back to the slow cooker.
- Add butter, cover, and continue to heat until butter is melted. Stir to blend butter with the sauce.
- For a thicker broth, remove ½ c. broth and whisk with cornstarch. Add back to slow cooker and heat until broth is thickened.