This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please see our affiliate policy.
I’ve teamed up with Opal® Apples to bring you this delicious Waldorf Salad. I’ve been compensated for my time. All opinions are mine alone.
Easy Waldorf Salad with Opal® Apples (they don’t brown when cut!), golden raisins, crisp celery, crunchy walnuts, and a creamy dreamy dressing!
Life Pro Tip (LPT): Use Opal® Apples whenever you are cutting an apple more than 5 minutes in advance of eating it raw.
And while you’re cutting apples that won’t turn brown, make this delicious, fresh & easy, updated-yet-classic Waldorf Salad. It’s perfect for your lunchbox, your next birthday party, and all the special moments in between.
The thing about these delicious, golden, crunchy, juicy, sweet apples is, they naturally do not turn brown when cut.
And when I say “naturally” I mean non-GMO, not some brilliant science experiment to avoid eventual apple browning.
My kids are obsessed with apples (HOORAY!) but they refuse to eat them if a pre-cut situation has led to browning. That usually means no apple slices at lunch time or on-the-go or any other time when even the slightest HINT of discoloration may occur.
Of course you can always use lemon juice, but now your apples taste like lemon juice. I might as well go suck on a lemon.
The whole no-discoloration situation is especially helpful if you’re making a fruit salad. I decided to make Waldorf Salad because my kids love it. I swapped out regular raisins for golden raisins and plumped them in some boiling water.
I also added the usual suspects: celery and walnuts. The creamy dressing has mayonnaise, some cider vinegar (a nod to the apples), and some honey for sweetness. And even after 2 days in the fridge, the apples still hadn’t browned in the slightest!
Opal® Apples are grown in Washington by Broetje and Congdon Orchards. Find out how to get your hands on some here!
- 3/4 cup golden raisins or regular raisins
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 pounds Opal® Apples or other apple such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 3 celery ribs finely chopped
- 3/4 cup walnuts toasted
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine raisins and water. Cover and microwave until the water boils, about 1 minute.
- Remove from microwave and let stand until the raisins are plump and most of the water has been absorbed, about 5 minutes. Drain any remaining water.
- In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, and honey. Add apples, celery, walnuts, and drained raisins and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to 2 days in advance. Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving. The Opal® Apples will not turn brown when cut.
Meggan Hill is a classically-trained chef and professional writer. Her meticulously-tested recipes and detailed tutorials bring confidence and success to home cooks everywhere. Meggan has been featured on NPR, HuffPost, FoxNews, LA Times, and more.
This is so perfect for a summer meal. We all loved it! Restaurant quality for sure!
I never heard of Opals but I’ll be looking for some today. BTW you did great at BHG!!
We just got them in at the store this summer here in Alaska. They are great!! Sweeter than most. And crunchy even when ripe. I haven’t noticed them browning-I have one on my desk from yesterday and no, it has not browned.