Mix up lunchtime! Here are three Chicken Salad Recipes made from the same base with tasty variations such as lemon pepper, celery, cranberries, and walnuts.
I'm obsessed with chicken salad.
It's one of those things that, even though it has mayonnaise in it, feels like a healthful, nutritious lunch.
But before you start yawning over "another chicken salad recipe," please let me remind you that we're talking about THREE delicious, tasty, flavorful options today. Yes, three chicken salad recipes!
One sandwich three ways. We call it Sandwich Math.
Here's how it breaks down:
You start with a basic chicken salad base (CSB). Cooked chicken, MAYO, lemon zest, lemon juice. Why is MAYO in all caps? Because I'm obsessed with mayo.
After that, you have your choice of mix-ins. Then season to taste with S&P!
- Option #1: Zesty Lemon Pepper Situation. Add (you guessed it) lemon pepper seasoning AND a bit of chopped red onion. Perfection.
- Option #2: The Celery Package. Add chopped celery and celery seed. It's classic but oh-so tasty. You can't go wrong!
- Option #3: Cranberry Nut Love. Add dried cranberries and chopped walnuts (roasted at your option). It's fun for fall and packed with flavors. My new favorite!
Make one, make 'em all! They are all SO GOOD. Slather them on a tortilla or pita or bread or A SPOON and start looking forward to lunch time.
Three Chicken Salad Recipes
For the Chicken Salad Base:
Variation 1: Lemon Pepper
- 1/2 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
Variation 2: Celery
- 1/2 cup celery finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
Variation 3: Cranberry Nut
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup walnuts chopped
- In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, zest, and lemon juice until smooth. Fold in chicken.
- Stir in mix-ins from your preferred variation until uniformly combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.