A delicious and hearty Pasta and Bean Soup! Spend 10 minutes building your flavors up front, then let the slow cooker do the rest of the work.
There are very few “dump and pour” slow cooker recipes that I can get excited about. Somehow no matter what you dumped and poured, they all end up tasting the same.
In this Pasta and Bean Soup recipe, though, you can spend 10 minutes creating and layering flavors on the stove top before transferring everything to your crockpot.
You’ll wind up with a DELICIOUS soup that didn’t take too much extra effort. Just enough to make the soup actually worth eating!
Warning: Crazy Culinary terms coming at you.
Start with a matignon – that is, mirepoix with bacon. (Mirepoix is 50% onions, 25% carrots, and 25% celery). It’s a winning combination to start off your awesome soup.
My entire adult life, I’ve seen recipes that start with onions, celery, carrots, and sometimes bacon. I didn’t realize until now, being in culinary school, that this is “a thing.” It’s a formula for building great flavors.
Good job, culinary minds of the past!
Stir in some garlic, then add lots of broth, your beans, some extra dried peas for thickness, and a bay leaf. So easy! Bring it to a boil to give the slow cooker a leg up on handling those beans.
3 to 4 hours later (on HIGH), stir in some noodles for extra chew. Devour!
Slow Cooker Pasta and Bean Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 slices bacon chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dried lima or pinto beans soaked overnight (see notes)
- ½ cup dried split peas or dried red lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup uncooked small pasta rigatoni, farfelle, rotini, etc.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add bacon, onion, celery, and carrot. Cook until vegetables have softened, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in broth, beans, peas, and bay leaf. Cover and bring to a boil; pour into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 3 to 4 hours or LOW 7 to 8 hours.
- Add pasta to slower cooker. Cover and cook about 10 minutes longer, until pasta is tender. Remove bay leaf. Season to taste with salt and pepper.