I make these healthy Turkey Tacos every single week! They are so delicious and flavorful, everyone loves them, and they’re ready in 15 minutes.
I don’t necessarily go out of my way to eat things like turkey meatballs or turkey meatloaf on a regular basis.
But when it comes to tacos: Turkey Tacos are my first and only choice. They are ready in record time in a delicious, flavorful sauce so good you’ll never miss the beef.
I absolutely insist that you try them. You just have to. You are going to LOVE THEM.
This recipe is adapted from an idea I saw in an America’s Test Kitchen cookbook. The idea is to create a sauce for the meat rather than simply adding powdered seasonings and water.
Trader Joe’s also suggests a similar idea by recommending you add a can of tomato sauce when you cook with their taco seasoning.
The results are spectacular and oh-so-easy. I like to use my own Homemade Taco Seasoning, but one packet of store-bought will also work.
Add all your favorite healthy toppings: Lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, scallions whatever you love! Or cheese and sour cream – I won’t tell anyone.
Or if you’re counting your carbs, just wrap the turkey taco meat in lettuce! Paleo/Keto/Low-Carb perfection.
Save these Turkey Tacos to your “Main Dishes” Pinterest board!
And let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always pinning tasty recipes!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons Homemade Taco Seasoning or 1 packet store-bought
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (see notes)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Corn tortillas or flour tortillas
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add taco seasoning, garlic, and oregano, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add ground turkey and cook, stirring occasionally, until almost cooked through but still slightly pink, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, vinegar, and brown sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide filling evenly among tortillas and serve with healthy garnishes such as shredded lettuce, diced tomato and avocado, scallions, and cilantro leaves.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information on my Affiliate and Advertising Policy, please click here.