I make these healthy Turkey Tacos every single week! They are so delicious and flavorful, everyone loves them, and they’re ready in 15 minutes.
I don’t necessarily go out of my way to eat things like turkey meatballs or turkey meatloaf on a regular basis, even though they are delicious.
But when it comes to tacos: Turkey Tacos are my first and only choice. They are ready in record time in a delicious, flavorful sauce so good you’ll never miss the beef.
I absolutely insist that you try them. You just have to. You are going to LOVE THEM.
This recipe is adapted from an idea I saw in an America’s Test Kitchen cookbook. The idea is to create a sauce for the meat rather than simply adding powdered seasonings and water.
Trader Joe’s also suggests a similar idea by recommending you add a can of tomato sauce when you cook with their taco seasoning.
The results are spectacular and oh-so-easy. I like to use my own Homemade Taco Seasoning, but one packet of store-bought will also work.
Add all your favorite healthy toppings: Lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, scallions whatever you love! Or cheese and sour cream – I won’t tell anyone.
Or if you’re counting your carbs, just wrap the turkey taco meat in lettuce! Paleo/Keto/Low-Carb perfection.
The Best Turkey Taco Recipe
For the taco seasoning (see notes):
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (optional)
For the tacos:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (see notes)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Corn tortillas or flour tortillas
To make the taco seasoning:
- In a small bowl, whisk together chlii powder, cumin, paprika, coriander, cayenne pepper, and salt to taste (I like 1/2 teaspoon), Whisk in cornstarch if desired. (Or, substitute one packet store-bought taco seasoning).
To make the tacos:
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil until shimmering. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in taco seasoning, garlic, and oregano until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add ground turkey and cook, stirring occasionally, until almost cooked through but still slightly pink, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, vinegar, and brown sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide filling evenly among tortillas and serve with healthy garnishes such as shredded lettuce, diced tomato and avocado, scallions, and cilantro leaves.