Ham Roll Ups are made with pickles and cream cheese, and they are all the rage at Midwest parties. Slice them up OR be a hero and just leave them whole.
Ham Roll Ups are one of my favorite appetizers, ever. They are common in the Midwest although more so (I think) in Minnesota than other states.
I learned about them from my friend Jessi and her family (Minnesotans) and never looked back.
It’s basically all of my favorite things thrown together with no fillers.
Sometimes referred to as Ham Pickle Roll Ups, these tasty morsels don’t need a lot of explanation or instructions, but I have a few tips to pass along.
Much like a gourmet salad or caviar the ingredients you select here matter. Choose the best ham, cream cheese, and pickles that you can afford.
My favorite ham in the Midwest is Badger Baked Ham. Beyond a good brand (Boar’s Head is also excellent), choose a ham that has uniform slices rather than unevenly shaved ham.
When it comes to cream cheese, you can use regular block cream cheese. Just be sure to soften it so it spreads easily. I always suggest whipped cream cheese because it is so much easier to handle.
For the pickles, the Clausen’s refrigerated pickles are my favorite. By the spears and slice them in half, or buy the halves and slice them into quarters or more.
It is customary to cut Ham Roll Ups into slices, but my favorite thing to do is serve them whole. It just saves you the trouble of eating 16 or 20 slices. A decent compromise is to cut each roll up in half.
Ham Roll Ups are so great! You simply MUST try them ASAP. If you love all these ingredients, you are going to love them.
Thank you, Minnesota!
Ham Roll Ups
- 16 slices (About 1 pound) sliced deli ham
- 1 (8 ounce) container whipped cream cheese
- 8 dill pickle spears halved lengthwise and drained on paper towels
- Working with one slice of ham at a time, lay ham on a flat surface. Spread evenly with cream cheese, going all the way to the edges.
- Place one pickle spear half on the short edge of the ham slice and roll tightly. Repeat with remaining ham, cream cheese, and pickles. Slice or serve whole.