Delicious comfort food lightened up with chicken! Chicken and Mushroom Stroganoff has all the classic flavors and is on the table in under 30 minutes. Scroll down for a video tutorial.
When I was shooting this recipe with my assistant, Jana, she looked at me and said “You’re going to eat the heck out of this in 5 seconds, aren’t you?”
And I did. There are some recipes we make where I literally can’t keep my fork out of them. We barely get photos taken and I’m shoveling it in.
Maybe I was just hungry that day/all days.
I say this is “lightened up with chicken” but that’s actually inconsequential.
It’s DELICIOUS WITH CHICKEN, and that’s what matters.
This creamy Chicken Stroganoff is also loaded with mushrooms which I LOVE (but if you don’t, just leave them out). Feel free to add more chicken if you omit the mushrooms.
Serve this hearty dish over egg noodles and get out your shovel.
Save this Chicken and Mushroom Stroganoff to your “Main Dishes” Pinterest board!
And let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always pinning tasty recipes!
Chicken and Mushroom Stroganoff Recipe
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 16 ounces wide egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onion chopped
- 8 ounces white or cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 1/4 pounds chicken thighs cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream plus more for topping
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped, for garnish
- Bring 4 quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil. Add egg noodles and cook according to package directions, about 7 to 8 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms and cook until they begin to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter, chicken, flour, paprika, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook until the chicken begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the broth and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a simmer. Cook until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sour cream and with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook until the chicken is thoroughly cooked, about 2 minutes.
- To serve, place egg noodles in a bowl or on a plate. Top with the chicken mixture and a dollop of sour cream if desired. Garnish with parsley.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information on my Affiliate and Advertising Policy, please click here.