Baked Mac and Cheese
Super creamy Baked Mac and Cheese is already the ultimate comfort food, but an easy Garlic Butter Crumb topping puts it right over the top!
It’s hard to fathom that a dish such as Baked Mac and Cheese could be improved.
Surely all the avenues have been explored, all the modern marvels have been revealed, and it is no longer possible to elevate this classic comfort food beyond it’s current state of glory.
But unless you are adding garlic butter crumbs to your mac and cheese, you haven’t quite maxed out the potential!
How do you make Baked Macaroni and Cheese?
First, boil your noodles. Next, make as simple cheese sauce (also known as a Mornay sauce) and stir in the noodles. Finally, smother your macaroni and cheese in a crunchy crumb topping!
What would you serve with Mac and Cheese?
What is the best cheese to use for Macaroni and Cheese?
I like to use a combination of flavorful cheeses such as gruyere, gouda, cheddar, and something that stretches nicely like Monterey Jack.
Save this Baked Mac and Cheese to your “Dinners” Pinterest board!
And let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always pinning tasty recipes!
Baked Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- ½ cup butter divided, plus extra for buttering the dish
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk hot
- ½ pound shredded cheddar or gouda cheese (2 cups)
- ½ pound shredded alpine-style or Monterey jack cheese (2 cups)
- Hot sauce to taste
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 2 ½ quart or larger casserole dish.
- Bring 4 quarts and 1 tablespoon salt to a rolling boil. Add macaroni and cook until just al dente, about 6 minutes. Drain well. Do not overcook and do not rinse macaroni.
- Return pot to stovetop. Over medium heat, melt 6 tablespoons butter until foaming. Whisk in flour and cook until bubbling but not browned, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk and bring to boil. Remove from heat and stir in cheeses until melted.
- Fold in macaroni and stir until uniformly combined. Season to taste with salt and hot sauce, if desired. Pour into prepared casserole dish.
- In a medium bowl, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in microwave. Stir in garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add breadcrumbs and toss until evenly coated.
- Pour breadcrumbs over macaroni. Bake until sauce is bubbling and breadcrumbs have browned, 30 to 40 minutes.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information on my Affiliate and Advertising Policy, please click here.