Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
Treat yourself and everyone you love to these hot, bubbly, cheesy Crab Stuffed Mushrooms. True mushroom lovers, prepare to swoon!
Mushrooms: You love them or you hate them. If you are ready this post, you probably love them or at least know someone who does. And if you are a TRUE mushroom lover, this recipe is likely to rock your world. Mushrooms stuffed with cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, crab, and seasonings, then baked to golden, bubbly perfection. Makes me want to have a party just thinking about them!
To me, the biggest challenge with mushrooms is always cleaning them. More times than I can count, I’ve seen Celebrity Chefs tout the virtues of “brushing mushrooms clean with a damp cloth.” Although I adore watching Rachel Ray poke at a handful of already-squeaky-cleaning mushrooms for 2 seconds each, somehow my mushrooms are always much dirtier than hers. I’d be there all day if I followed her method. I sent an email to the folks at Cook’s Illustrated inquiring about this, and they were kind enough to respond. They suggested I place the mushrooms in a salad spinner, fill it with water, quickly swish the mushrooms around, drain them, and give them a whirl in the spinner. This is what I do now and it’s not too bad. My mushrooms are not overly waterlogged, especially when I’m cooking them and the water is going to cook out anyway. Besides, at least I know there is no dirt flavoring my dish.
The filling can be made in advance and refrigerated until you are ready to stuff the mushrooms. And, you may have some filling leftover. It is delicious on crackers or chunks of bread as a dip. The recipe calls for imitation crab meat, but you are welcome to add sophistication to your dish by using real lump crab meat. I have always used baby Portobello mushrooms, but you may substitute button mushrooms. Either way, they are SWOON-worthy!
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ½ c. sour cream
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 oz. imitation crab meat, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, green parts only, sliced
- ½ c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 pkgs. baby Portobello or white button mushrooms, stems removed
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Taste and add salt and pepper if desired. Stir in crab meat, scallions, and mozzarella cheese.
- Divide filling evenly among mushroom caps. Place on the baking sheet 1” apart.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until filling is hot and bubbly.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information on my Affiliate and Advertising Policy, please click here.