Christmas Crack is all your Christmas candy wishes – on crack! You won’t find an easier candy to make, anywhere. It’s salty, sweet, and ADDICTIVE! Scroll down for a video tutorial.
Christmas Crack is so easy to make, it should be criminal. (Bad puns, anyone? Is this even a pun?)
Let me start over.
Today we’re talking about the easiest Christmas candy on the Internet: Christmas Crack.
Unlike other candies that require thermometers, chocolate dippage, and paraffin, Christmas Crack requires crackers, butter, sugar, chocolate chips, and walnuts.
Just 5 ingredients, 30 minutes, and lots of joy.
To make Christmas Crack, you arrange saltine crackers on a pan. If you have a jelly roll pan, that’s a nice size for arranging 35 crackers. But, any large rimmed baking sheet will do.
Next, boil equal parts butter and brown sugar to the soft-crack stage (270 to 290 degrees). It takes about 3 minutes. It’s sort of like a genius instant caramel sauce that hardens (it’s not “actual” caramel). You’re going to love it.
Now, pop the pan in the oven for 5 minutes to continue cooking the caramel to hard-crack stage (300 degrees to 310 degrees). Remove from the oven.
Meanwhile, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave in 30-second increments at 50% power until melted (stirring after each increment). Spread over the hardened caramel.
Next, toppings. Pecans and walnuts are classics, but M&Ms, crushed OREOs, pretzels, toffee bits, or drizzles of other chocolate are ALL GREAT IDEAS!
If you want fairly square pieces of candy, I recommend cutting it while it’s still warm, straight out of the oven. Chill the Christmas Crack in the refrigerator until it hardens. If you want a more rustic look, let it harden and just break or chop into pieces.
Then try to save some for Christmas Day, because you’re really going to want to eat it all. Immediately. Right now.
Save this Christmas Crack to your “Desserts” Pinterest board!
And let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always pinning tasty recipes!
- 35-40 saltine crackers or graham crackers
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 ½ cups toppings as desired such as pecans walnuts, crushed OREO cookies, pretzels, toffee bits, M&Ms, or drizzles of other melted chocolate
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a 15” x 10” x 1” pan with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Line up crackers in a single layer in rows on foil.
- Meanwhile, using a candy thermometer, melt butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 to 3 minutes (270 to 290 degrees if using a candy thermometer). Immediately pour over crackers and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Bake 5 minutes or until the candy hardens (300 to 310 degrees if using a candy thermometer). Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave in 30-second increments at 50% power until melted. Spread over hardened caramel.
- Sprinkle nuts or other toppings and press into the chocolate using a greased spatula. Cut into squares while warm. Cool completely and store in the refrigerator.
Because of reader feedback, I've been able to improve this recipe by suggesting the use of a candy thermometer (thanks Valerie!). I hadn't used one previously, but there are enough variables here that things can go wrong.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information on my Affiliate and Advertising Policy, please click here.