Toasting pecans is an easy way to enhance their flavor and an extra step you should put on auto-pilot: Just do it. Toast the pecans.
Whether you toast them in the oven or on the stove top, it only takes a few minutes and you can dramatically improve the taste of your pecans. If you're going to eat them, you might as well make them the best they can be!
How do you toast Pecans in the oven?
- First, decide if you want to toss the pecans in fat (oil or clarified butter are both good choices) before toasting. You can also add salt, sugar, or other spices if you want to.
- Toast pecans in a preheated oven on a rimmed baking sheet for 7 to 10 minutes. Stir or shake the pan occasionally so the nuts brown evenly without burning.
How do you toast Pecans on the stove?
If you have a small quantity of pecans to toast, this is a really great way to get the job done.
- First, decide if you want to toss the pecans in oil or add any spices.
- Next, add the pecans to a skillet and toast over medium-heat until browned (one shade darker than they originally were) and fragrant.
What are some good seasonings for toasted pecans?
Mix any of the following spice combinations with 1-2 tablespoons oil or butter for 1 cup pecans:
- Cinnamon and sugar blend: 1/4 cup sugar +1 tsp. cinnamon
- Chex-Mix flavors: 1-1/2 tsp. Worcestershire + 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt + 1/4 tsp. garlic powder + pinch onion powder
- Cajun seasoning blend
- Sweet & spicy blend: 1 tbsp. sugar + 1/2 tsp. salt + 1/4 tsp. cumin + pinch cayenne
- Pumpkin spice: 1/4 cup sugar + 1 tsp. cinnamon + 1 tsp. pumpkin spice + pinch salt
- Chili seasoning blend
How to Toast Pecans
- 1 cup pecans or more
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or clarified butter, optional
- Salt optional
To toast pecans in the oven:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or foil for easy cleanup.
- Toss pecans in oil and salt if desired. Arrange in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Toast until browned and fragrant, stirring occasionally, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and chop or use as desired. Or, store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
To toast pecans on the stove:
- Toss pecans in oil and salt if desired. In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat pecans until browned and fragrant, stirring occasionally, about 2 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from skillet and chop or use as desired. Or, store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.