Cheesy Potato Casserole
Easy Cheesy Potato Casserole comes together in minutes and can be made ahead of time. This crowd-pleaser is perfect for breakfast, brunch, or any party!
Cheesy Hash Brown Potato Casserole is one of those ubiquitous potluck dishes in the Midwest.
The thing about potlucks is, people tend to get “assigned” certain dishes that everyone loves. So if you bring something and it’s a hit, you are morally obligated to always bring it to every potluck you attend, forever.
My friend Stephanie always brought the Cheesy Potatoes, and we were all very grateful. I talk about this like it’s in the past, because it is. At least for me.
I live in California now where no one has even HEARD of Cheesy Potato Casserole. It’s my job to share the joy.
It’s an incredibly simple recipe, too!
First you mix up frozen hash browns with homemade Cream of Chicken soup, sour cream, and shredded cheese. Bake it for an hour, then remove it from the oven.
Meanwhile, melt some butter with crushed corn flakes. Pour over the top of the cheesy baked Potato Casserole. Return to the oven for a bit longer, until the corn flakes are golden brown and fragrant and buttery delicious.
The hashbrown casserole turns out creamy and cheesy all at the same time, buried in that fabulous crunchy corn flake topping. You are DEFINITELY going to be assigned the obligation of bringing this easy Cheesy Potato Casserole recipe to all future potlucks.
Have you ever tried making a cheesy potato casserole with real potatoes? That’s next on my list!
Save this Cheesy Potato Casserole to your “Side Dishes” Pinterest board!
And let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always pinning tasty recipes!
Cheesy Potato Casserole
- 1 (30 ounce) package frozen hash browns , thawed
- 1 recipe homemade cream of chicken soup or 1 can store-bought
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups cornflakes crushed
- 1/4 cup butter
Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Pour hash browns into a large bowl. Stir in cream of chicken soup, sour cream, cheddar cheese, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Mix until uniformly combined.
- Pour hash brown mixture into prepared baking dish. Bake uncovered for 1 hour. Remove from oven.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium microwave-safe dish. Stir in crushed cornflakes. Pour over the top of the baked casserole and spread into an even layer. Return to the oven and bake for 20 minutes longer.
- To make ahead, assemble the casserole through Step 3. Pour into baking dish and cover. Refrigerate overnight or freeze. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator if frozen and follow the baking instructions above.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information on my Affiliate and Advertising Policy, please click here.