Instead of opening up a can of condensed soup, make this easy Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup with simple ingredients you probably already have on hand.
Remember when condensed Cream of Chicken Soup was a good idea?
I think it started in the 50’s when convenience foods were all the rage. And even in my childhood, cream of soup was commonplace and even tasty. I loved the stuff.
And while it’s frowned upon to resort to “processed food” and “canned soups” these days, that’s not why I avoid them.
I avoid them because they don’t taste good.
And before you roll your eyes and think to yourself that “you don’t have time” or “you don’t have the stuff,” let me just say it’s pretty easy.
We’re talking minutes. Common ingredients. Not even cream!
Ready to give it a shot?
This is so simple, you are going to laugh.
First, you simmer some chicken broth with spices. While that is rising to simmering temperature, whisk some flour into milk.
Once the simmering has commenced, add the milk + flour. Simmer for another minute or so until thickened.
Wow, that’s it?
Yes, that’s it.
No excuse never to use Cream of Chicken Soup from a can again.
Time to put your Cream of Delicious Soup to work. Anyone in the mood for Cheesy Potato Casserole?
Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup Recipe
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 pinch dried parsley
- 1 pinch paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- In a 1 1/2-quart saucepan combine broth, onion powder, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, parsley, paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, whisk together milk and flour until smooth. Pour into saucepan, whisking continuously, until the mixture bubbles and thickens, about 1 minute.
- To make soup, add 1 cup water to this full recipe. Makes 2 servings, 1 cup each.
- Adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe.