Cheesy Potato Casserole Recipe (Funeral Potatoes)
Hailing from the Midwest, Cheesy Potato Casserole delights absolutely everyone at any party, no matter where you are. This is the classic recipe, but there are lots of fun variations to make this gooey, cheesy baked hash brown masterpiece even more special.
Servings 12 servings
- 1 (30 ounce) package frozen hash browns thawed
- 1 recipe homemade cream of chicken soup or 1 can store-bought
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups cornflakes crushed
- 1/4 cup butter
Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
Pour hash browns into a large bowl. Stir in cream of chicken soup, sour cream, cheddar cheese, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Mix until uniformly combined.
Pour hash brown mixture into prepared baking dish. Bake uncovered for 1 hour. Remove from oven.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium microwave-safe dish. Stir in crushed cornflakes. Pour over the top of the baked casserole and spread into an even layer. Return to the oven and bake for 20 minutes longer.
- To make ahead, assemble the casserole through Step 3. Pour into baking dish and cover. Refrigerate overnight or freeze. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator if frozen and follow the baking instructions above.