White Bean and Kale Soup
Jump-start your healthful eating habits with my easy White Bean and Kale Soup. It only takes 4 ingredients and 30 minutes. Naturally vegan and gluten free.
My son recently turned 4, so I’ve been baking overtime recently.
Just like Christmas, Calvin prefers the wrapping to the actual presents, metaphorically speaking (and please apply this metaphor to birthday desserts). He really just wants some pretzels and a juice box for his Birthday Dinner.
And even though I don’t have a massive sweet tooth, it seems I made all my own favorite sweets for his various birthday occasions (go figure).
Which brings me to this glorious White Bean and Kale Soup: A promise for a better tomorrow.
Even when you’re not celebrating a birthday, life gets busy (and over sugary/salty). I like to have just a couple of fast recipes I can fall back on, preferably ones with minimal fresh ingredients. These Turkey Tacos come to mind. So does this White Bean and Kale Soup.
In under a half hour, you can enjoy a warm, filling, healthful bowl of white cannellini beans and fresh green kale. It’s easy to make and your stomach will thank you for it.
I mashed one can of beans to help thicken the soup, but I leave the second can whole so I can actually see and enjoy the beans. One of my favorite chefs, Ina Garten, always says that food should look like it’s ingredients. This soup is really a testament to that ideal.
Save this White Bean and Kale Soup to your “Soups” Pinterest board!
And let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always pinning tasty recipes!
White Bean and Kale Soup
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time:5 min
Cook Time:25 min
Total Time:30 min
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth (see notes)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups kale, stems removed and torn into 1” pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a 3 quart saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash one can of beans in a small bowl. Add mashed beans, broth, and water to saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in remaining beans (left whole), kale, 1 tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper. Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer about 20 minutes, until kale is tender.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper and serve.
- Chicken broth may be substituted for the vegetable broth.