White Bean and Kale Soup
An easy recipe for White Bean and Kale Soup ready in just 30 minutes! Mash half the beans for thickness in the soup and leave the other half whole for added texture. Make it on the stove top, in a slow cooker, or in an InstaPot. Great for jump-starting your healthful eating habits. Also naturally vegan and gluten free!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth (see notes)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups kale stems removed and torn into 1” pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a 3 quart saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, mash one can of beans in a small bowl. Add mashed beans, broth, and water to saucepan. Bring to a boil.
Stir in remaining beans (left whole), kale, 1 tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper. Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer about 20 minutes, until kale is tender.
Season to taste with additional salt and pepper and serve.
- I prefer the flavor of chicken broth here, so unless you are vegetarian or vegan, that's what I recommend.