White Bean and Kale Soup Recipe
An easy recipe for White Bean and Kale Soup ready in just 30 minutes! Mash half the beans for thickness in the soup and leave the other half whole for added texture. Make it on the stove top, in a slow cooker, or in an InstaPot. Great for jump-starting your healthful eating habits. Also naturally vegan and gluten free!
Servings 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans drained and rinsed (no salt added)
- 4 cups vegetable broth or low-sodium chicken broth (see notes)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups kale stems removed and torn into 1” pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a 3 quart saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, mash one can of beans in a small bowl. Add mashed beans, broth, and water to saucepan. Bring to a boil.
Stir in remaining beans (left whole) and kale. Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer about 20 minutes, until kale is tender.
Season to taste with salt and pepper (I like 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper).
- I prefer the flavor of chicken broth here, so unless you are vegetarian or vegan, that's what I recommend.
- For more flavor, you could stir in minced garlic or dried herbs with the onion in step 1. Or, add a bay leaf or fresh herbs with the broth in step 2. Good herb choices include thyme, oregano, or basil. I also like to add red chili flakes.