Tender-crisp and buttery, these Thumbprint Cookies can be filled with any jam you love. A class at Christmas, they shine like gems on your cookie plate!
Thumbprint Cookies are the perfect way to encourage all the younger bakers in your life.
Simple sugar cookies are filled with colorful jam or jelly so they look as great as they taste! And more importantly, they are fun to make (when does anyone ever tell you to squish cookie dough?)
How to Make Thumbprint Cookies
To make these easy Thumbprint cookies, start by making a basic sugar cookie dough. After chilling for 30 minutes, portion the dough into 1 to 1 1/2-inch balls.
Now comes the fun part: Press your thumb in to the middle of each cookie to make an indentation.
Bake the cookies until soft and fragrant, then remove from the oven and immediately fill the indentations with jam. I think raspberry looks festive for the holidays, but apricot is my favorite!
Thumbprint Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup butter softened (2 sticks)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup jam or preserves
- In a standing mixer with the paddle attachment at medium speed, or with an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla until smooth.
- Gradually add flour and baking powder until combined. Cover and chill at least 30 minutes.
- Place rack in middle of oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place on prepared baking sheets 2 inches apart. Using your thumb, make an indentation in the center of each cookie (if the dough is sticky, wet your thumb between cookies).
- Bake until light golden brown around the edges, about 11 to 14 minutes, rotating baking sheets after 6 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately transfer to wire cooling racks. Spoon 1/4 teaspoon jam into the indentation on each baked cookie.
- Dough can be made ahead and kept refrigerated for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before using.
- Adapted from Pillsbury's Complete Cookbook.