I teamed up with the California Walnuts to bring you these Seven Layer Bars! I’ve been compensated for my time. All opinions are mine alone.
Classic Seven Layer Bars have 7 layers of sweet, crunchy, and chewy flavors! Studded with walnuts, coconut, and all the chips, these are always a favorite!
You may know them as Magic Bars, Dream Bars, or Seven Layer Bars. However you name them, the results are the same:
7 layers of tasty flavors that everyone wants, craves, and devours.
How to Make Seven Layer Bars
Here’s a snapshot of the Layer Situation:
- Graham cracker crust
- Chocolate chips
- White chocolate chips
- Butterscotch chips
- Shredded coconut
- Sweetened condensed milk
But first, start by making a foil sling.
How to line a pan with aluminum foil
For ease of removal and cleanup in general, start this recipe by lining your pan with foil. You basically want two overlapping pieces of aluminum foil that hang over the edges of the pan, forming a sling.
When the bars are done and cooled, you can lift the foil up by the edges and easily remove the bars.
With your aluminum foil lining in place, everything else is easy!
Make a simplified version of a graham cracker crust. Then, layer the toppings in the order above, and pour the sweetened condensed milk over the top to bind everything together. Bake for an hour and cool completely.
And in case you missed it at the top of the post, I am partnering with California Walnuts. Not just right now, but for the next 9 months.
Not all walnuts are created equally, and I really love learning about the care and attention that goes into the growth and harvesting of walnuts in California. I’m honored to spread awareness and to support my state!
Seven Layer Bars Recipe
For the graham cracker crust:
- 9 whole graham crackers
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter melted and cooled
For the bars:
- 1 cup California walnuts finely chopped
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut toasted
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 by 13-inch cake pan with foil and coat with nonstick cooking spray.
To make the graham cracker crust:
- In a food processor or in a plastic bag with a rolling pin, finely crush graham crackers. Toss with butter, then press into prepared pan in an even layer.
To make the bars:
- Layer the walnuts, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and coconuts on top of the graham cracker crumbs in that order. Drizzle condensed milk evenly over the top.
- Bake until golden brown and fragrant, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in pan completely on a wire rack, about 2 hours. Lift bars out of the pan using foil sling and cut into squares.
- The bars can be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and stored at room temperature for 3 days.
- Adapted from The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook.