These Sugar Cookie Cheesecake Bars are decadent without being overly sweet. Start with a package of sugar cookie mix and add a creamy cheesecake filling!
I am 100% convinced that THE ONLY WAY to improve cheesecake is to serve it on a sugar cookie.
Seems pretty obvious to me.
These Sugar Cookie Cheesecake Bars are perfectly balanced, lightly sweet, decadent without being too rich, and just all around absolute perfection.
It’s also hard to stop eating them once you start, so consider yourself warned.
I got the idea from my friend Sarah who had a withered old magazine clipping circa 1995. The recipe in question was a Crème Brûlée Bar with some toffee bits (to simulate the effect of a blow torch, presumably).
She was about to douse said Brûlée Bars in toffee bits when she remembered a nut allergy and, well, had to scrap the bits.
Turned out to be nothing short of divine intervention.
We tested, taste-tested, and tested again.
We unanimously agreed that the toffee bits had to be permanently banned from the bars. Why mar the beautiful, creamy consistency of the cheesecake filling?
And so Sugar Cookie Cheesecake Bars were born in all their glory, free from bits of any kind.
In this case, less is more.
Sugar Cookie Cheesecake Bars
- 1 (17.5 ounce) package sugar cookie mix
- 1 (3.4 ounce) box French vanilla instant pudding mix (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter melted
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract divided
- 2 whole eggs plus 3 egg yolks
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-inch by 13-inch cake pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine cookie mix, pudding mix, brown sugar, butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 whole egg. Mix well and press in to bottom of pan.
- In a standing mixer with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl by hand, beat cream cheese, sour cream, and sugar until smooth.
- Add remaining whole egg, egg yolks, and remaining 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla. Beat until smooth. Pour over crust in pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until center is set. Cool at least 30 minutes. Store in the refrigerator.