The easiest method for making roasted carrots. The high oven temperature cooks the carrots fast and leads to delicious caramelization of their natural sugars. All you need is olive oil, salt and pepper, and a sprinkling of fresh herbs if you choose. The perfect side dish for the holidays and all year-round.
Whether you’re pulling carrots out of damp earth in spring, dirt still clinging to them, or peeling piles of carrots for your holiday table, roasting them is always a good way to go.
When you roast carrots at a high temperature, you bring out the natural sweetness through caramelization. It’s also quick and easy – true story.
Are you supposed to peel carrots?
Technically, you don’t have to peel carrots, ever. As long as you scrub them well to remove all the dirt, they are perfectly safe and tasty to eat unpeeled.
However, some people don’t like the taste of carrot skin and, depending on the carrot, it might taste bitter. In culinary school, we always peeled carrots, even when making stock.
I suggest peeling the carrots in this recipe. Then, slice on the bias (diagonally) in 1 1/2-inch slices.
Can you peel carrots ahead of time?
Yes! You can peel and chop carrots 2 to 3 weeks in advance. Just store them in a container of water and they’ll be crisp and fresh when it’s roasting time.
How do I make the best roast carrots?
- Toss your peeled, cut carrots in olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Roast at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
Looking for more flavor? Here are some of my favorite flavor combinations for carrots (or choose your own adventure!):
- Carrots + Cinnamon + Raisins + Sugar + Walnuts
- Carrots + Cumin + Orange juice
- Carrots + Cilantro + Lime
- Carrots + Dill + Yogurt
- Carrots + Lemon juice + parsley
- Carrots + Maple Syrup + Orange zest
- Carrots + Pistachios+ Tarragon
How long does it take to roast carrots at 425 degrees?
It takes a little less time–15 to 20 minutes– to roast carrots at 425 degrees. Keep an eye on those carrots! And most importantly, watch the parchment, which could burn at higher oven temperatures.
How long does it take to roast carrots at 375 degrees?
Maybe a bit more time– 25 to 30 minutes– to roast carrots at 375 degrees.
How long does it take to roast carrots at 350 degrees?
If you’re already baking something at 350, go ahead and throw the carrots in, too. It will take longer, though –maybe 30 to 35 minutes.
How long does it take to roast whole carrots?
Sometimes you just can’t be bothered with slicing carrots (this happens to all of us). For those days, here’s what you do:
- Toss whole carrots in olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place on a rimmed baking sheet and cover tightly with foil.
- Roast for 30 minutes, until fork-tender.
- 2 pounds carrots peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley or fresh dill
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil for easy cleanup.
- If the carrots are thick, cut in half lengthwise. Otherwise, leave them whole. Slice carrots diagonally (on the bias) into 1 1/2-inch thick slices. Add to prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss to coat and arrange in a single layer.
- Roast until carrots are tender and browned, about 20 to 30 minutes. Toss with parsley and season to taste.