An easy Peanut Butter Blossoms cookie recipe. Soft, chewy peanut butter cookies are rolled in sugar, baked, and topped with a single Hershey's kiss!
I am so excited for Ohio! Your wonderful state is responsible for Peanut Butter Blossoms. Did you have any idea? I had no idea.
But yes, back in 1957 Ohio resident Freda Smith invented Peanut Butter Blossoms for a Pillsbury Bakeoff. Legend has it that she wanted to make peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips, found no chips in her cupboard, and reached for a bag of Hershey Kisses instead.
The rest, as they say, is history.
How to Make Peanut Butter Blossoms
Start with a simple peanut butter cookie dough (I make mine with shortening).
Form cookie dough balls and roll them in sugar before placing them on a baking sheet.
The cookies will naturally drop and spread. Once out of the oven, immediately press an unwrapped Hershey's Kiss into the top of each cookie.
Peanut Butter Blossoms with Chocolate Stars
My mom has a genius twist on Peanut Butter Blossoms - she tops them with Brach's Chocolate Stars instead of Hershey's kisses.
The benefit of the Star situation is two-fold:
- The chocolate stars are not individually wrapped. And therefore do not need to be unwrapped.
- You can bite halfway through a chocolate star and it will stay in place. It does not move. I know this doesn't sound like a big deal, but it's actually really awesome.
If you happen to live in a part of the world where "Farm & Fleet" or "Fleet & Farm" means something to you, you can check there for their store-brand of chocolate stars. Otherwise, some groceries stores carry them during the holidays or you can find them on Amazon.
Peanut Butter Blossoms Recipe
- 1 cup white sugar divided
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 48 Hershey's® Kisses unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats. Place 1/2 cup sugar in a shallow dish.
- In a standing mixer with the paddle attachment at medium speed, or with an electric hand mixer, combine flour, brown sugar, remaining 1/2 cup white sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Reduce heat to low and add peanut butter, shortening, egg, milk, and vanilla until stiff dough forms. Shape dough into 1-inch balls and roll in sugar and place on prepared baking sheets 2 inches apart.
- Bake until golden brown, about 10 to 12 minutes, rotating baking sheets after 5 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately press 1 Hershey's® Kiss into the top of each cookie so the cookies crack around the edges. Cool completely on wire racks.