A Dirty Shirley cocktail is a grown-up version of your favorite childhood mocktail: The Shirley Temple. Made with grenadine and lemon-lime soda, it has the same fruity taste you love with a little something extra for the grown-ups. Batch instructions included below!
Dirty Shirley Ingredients:
For generations, the original Shirley Temple recipe served in the 1930s was made with a glass of ginger ale over ice and grenadine—sometimes with a splash of orange juice for color. So, some Dirty Shirleys are made with Ginger Beer.
Today, restaurants generally use lemon-lime soda, so that's what we're using here.
- Ice. A full glass of it.
- Vodka. You could use plain or cherry vodka. I like Smirnoff Cherry Vodka the best, but all the major players have a cherry vodka in their portfolio. I've listed some popular brands below.
- Grenadine. That reddish-pink syrup you love! You can buy it by the bottle or use the juice from a jar of maraschino cherries.
- Lemon-lime soda. 7UP, Sprite, or your favorite brand.
- Maraschino cherries. For garnish. And snacking.
How to make a Dirty Shirley cocktail:
- Choose your glass and fill it with ice.
- Pour vodka and grenadine over ice. Top with lemon-lime soda and stir.
- Garnish with a cherry.
Best liquor for a Dirty Shirley
Vodka is classic.
For more cherry flavor, choose a Cherry-flavored vodka such as:
- Three Olives
- And more!
How to make a Skinny Dirty Shirley:
The easiest way is to use diet lemon-lime soda in place of the regular. Diet 7Up and Sprite Zero Sugar both work really well here.
You'll still have the sugar from the grenadine, but that will help mask the "diet" taste from the soda.
Dirty Shirley Punch:
If you want to make to a batch of Dirty Shirleys in a bowl or pitcher, this recipe will make 8 cocktails.
- 2 cups vodka
- 1 cup grenadine
- 4 cups lemon-lime soda
- 8 maraschino cherries.
- Add vodka and grenadine to a large pitcher or bowl and stir to combine. Carefully stir in lemon-lime soda.
- Fill individual glasses with ice and top with 6 ounces Dirty Shirley Punch. Garnish with a cherry.
Dirty Shirley Cocktail Recipe
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1 ounce grenadine
- 4 ounces lemon-lime soda 7Up, Sprite, etc.
- Maraschino cherries for garnish, optional
- Fill a glass with ice. Add vodka and grenadine and stir to combine.
- Top with lemon-lime soda and garnish with a cherry.