Cornflake Crusted French Toast! Texas toast dipped in extra thick cinnamon batter and crusted with cornflakes. That extra crunch is unbelievably addictive! Scroll down for an easy video tutorial.
One of my very first cookbooks was Cooking with Mickey Volume II, and I thought it was genius. What could be better than a book full of Disney resort copycat recipes?
One of my favorite recipes from the book is the Puffed French Toast which was served at the Crystal Palace at Magic Kingdom. It’s basically French toast dipped in an extra-thick batter, fried, and then rolled in cinnamon and sugar mix. Kind of like a giant cinnamon-sugar doughnut.
Needless to say, it’s excellent. But you know what’s even better? Adapting that recipe to include CORNFLAKES.
I never buy cornflakes for breakfast, so if I’m going to use them in a recipe, I want to make sure I have enough ideas to use an entire box.
Along with this Cornflake Crusted French Toast, you can try Cheesy Potato Casserole (aka Funeral Potatoes), or even Mock Fried Ice Cream. (If you have any extra, just roll small piles of cornflakes in melted chocolate and chill them. Waste not.) Do you have any recipes you make with cornflakes? I’d love to hear about them!
Instead of rolling the fried French Toast in cinnamon and sugar as in the original recipe, I simply added extra cinnamon and sugar to the batter. Then, add the cornflake topping and fry.
I recommend heating your oven to 200 degrees so you can keep the finished pieces warm as you complete them. That way, you don’t have to feel rushed (and could even make them 15 or 20 minutes in advance of eating).
Some of my favorite toppings include maple syrup, whipped cream, or fresh berries. Or all of the above! Candied pecans are excellent, too.
Save this Cornflake Crusted French Toast to your “Breakfast” Pinterest board!
And let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always pinning tasty recipes!
Cornflake Crusted French Toast
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 8 cups cornflakes, crushed
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 12 slices Texas toast, sliced diagonally into triangles
- Syrup, whipped cream, and fruit, for serving
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- In a large shallow bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla until well blended. Slowly whisk in flour and baking powder until smooth.
- Add cornflakes to a second shallow bowl and place next to the batter. Heat 1 inch oil in a heavy skillet to 325 degrees.
- Working with 1 or 2 bread slices at a time, dip bread in batter and allow any excess to drip off and back in to the bowl.
- Roll generously in cornflake crumbs. Immediately fry in oil until golden brown, about 1 minute per side.
- Drain on paper towels and transfer to a baking sheet in oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining bread slices.
- Serve warm with your favorite toppings such as maple syrup, powdered sugar, whipped cream, fresh fruit, or candied pecans.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information on my Affiliate and Advertising Policy, please click here.