This effortless Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake recipe starts with store-bought cookie dough topped with swirled chocolate chips and peanut butter. Then, decorate it any way you like! Think leftover Halloween candy (as if there is such a thing!) or decorations from your last birthday celebration.
How do you make a homemade cookie cake?
Break the dough into large pieces and press the dough evenly into the bottom and up the sides of a pie plate and bake in the oven until golden brown. It’s a cake, so we want to make sure the entire surface of the pie plate is covered with the dough.
How do you make cookie cake with pre-made dough?
Simply open the package of cookie dough and use the same method as stated above. If the dough seems a bit sticky, lightly flour your hands, which will help absorb some of the moisture.
Does Cookie Cake need to be refrigerated?
It really depends on the icing. If the icing or topping contains any form of butter, whipped cream, or cream cheese, then yes, the cake should be refrigerated. If not, it should keep on the counter for up to 5 days.
How do you keep a cookie cake soft?
The secret is a moisture-rich substance that is going to keep moisture in the container of the cookie cake – usually a slice of bread or apple. Since our cookie cake has a rich topping, the bread or apple would get in the way.
However, if you are cutting out slices the day you make it (which you should!), the slice of bread or apple can be placed in the open space. Wrapped in plastic wrap, the cookie cake should stay moist for 3-5 days. Replace the bread or apple on the third day if cake still remains.
What size pie plate should I use?
A 9 inch pie plate is standard and the size I used. The smaller or larger the pie plate, the thicker or thinner the cookie dough.
- If your pie plate is an 8 inch, increase the cooking time by 2 minutes.
- If your pie plate is larger, in the 10-12 inch range, decrease the cooking time by 2 minutes.
The cookie should be golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
How do you measure a pie plate?
At the top, from inside rim to inside rim. The sides of a pie plate are sloped, so the width of the top will be wider than the width of the bottom.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake Recipe
- 1 (16 ounce) package refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- chopped candy bars or candy pieces for topping (I used quartered Milky Way bars and M&Ms)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
- Press cookie dough evenly into the bottom and about 1” up the side of the pie plate. Bake for 15 minutes or until the edges are set and golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven.
- Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over the top of the cookie crust. Using a spoon or cookie scoop coated with nonstick cooking spray, drop rounded teaspoonfuls of peanut butter on top of the chocolate chips. Let stand until the chocolate chips have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Using an offset spatula or a butter knife, gently spread chocolate and peanut butter over the crust. Sprinkle candy pieces in a single layer on top.
- Chill at least 30 minutes to set topping. Cut into wedges and serve.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information on my Affiliate and Advertising Policy, please click here.