The softest, chewiest chocolate chip cookies. Underbake them slightly so they come out with crispy edges and soft centers! Use chips AND chunks for magic.
I think something as timeless and nostalgic as a proper chocolate chip cookie should come together with minimal effort.
That's why I love this chocolate chip recipe: The cookies are soft and chewy and loaded with chocolate. They also come together in one bowl and are out of the oven in 10 minutes or less.
How to make Chocolate Chip Cookies
My favorite trick in this recipe is to start with melted butter. You don't have to remember to pull it out of the refrigerator early so it can soften; you just have to melt it.
Pour it into a bowl and mix with both sugars, an egg, and vanilla. Finally, add the dry ingredients and the chocolate chip cookies.
To achieve epic softness, you want to underbake the chocolate chip cookies just slightly. Pull them out of the oven before the tops have set (but the edges are just starting to brown).
This way, when they continue to cook on the baking sheet a few minutes longer, they will hit optimal softness AND be safe to eat! Win win.
Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup light brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 10 tablespoons butter melted and cooled (1 1/4 sticks)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 heaping cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and/or chunks
- Adjust oven racks to the upper-middle and lower-middle positions. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- In a large bowl, whisk together brown sugar and white sugar. Whisk in melted butter until smooth. Whisk in eggs and vanilla until smooth.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt. Fold in carefully with a rubber spatula. Stir in M&Ms.
- Working with 3 tablespoons of dough at a time, drop the dough on prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart. (I use the OXO large cookie scoop, a size 20 portioner, and do 6 scoops of dough per baking sheet).
- Bake until the cookies are set with lightly golden edges, about 15 minutes. Do not over-bake.
- Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.