If there’s a box of Thin Mint cookies hidden in your desk drawer, or a gallon of chocolate mint ice cream in your freezer, this recipe for an old-fashioned Grasshopper Cocktail will make you leap for joy. Get shaking; the dreamy green Grasshopper is pure pleasure with every cocoa-minty sip.
The Grasshopper Cocktail might remind you of the grown-up dinner parties your parents threw while you peeked down longingly from the top of the stairs in your pajamas; if so, you’re not alone. Mint and chocolate was made for kids, not adults, right? Right? But there it was, a mysterious ice cream concoction being swigged by everyone in the room, except the 7-year old you.
Not anymore. Now’s your chance to throw your own party, darn it, and serve up a batch of these drinks instead of dessert. Imagine the cries, the oohs and aahs of your delighted guests, each of whom remembers them the same way: frosty green, elegantly served, and only for adults.
It makes the perfect dessert, because it’s sweet but not too sweet. Because it’s made with low-proof alcohol, it’s easy to sip without feeling tipsy. The Grasshopper’s festive color makes it fun, to boot– like a drinkable Grasshopper Pie. Make a batch of Mint Brownies for the 7-year olds, and you’ll be loved near and far by everyone.
Need a big batch of Grasshopper Cocktails, or just one? Click and slide the number next to “servings” on the recipe card below to adjust the ingredients to match how many you’re feeding—the recipe does the math for you, it’s that easy.
What is a grasshopper cocktail?
For decades, the Grasshopper was a Wisconsin supper club staple, made with blended ice cream. This Grasshopper drink recipe uses equal parts green crème de menthe, crème de cacao, and cream; everything is shaken until frothy and served in your fanciest up martini glass with chocolate shavings or a cocoa dusted rim.
It’s the original recipe, but since Wisconsin is near and dear, instructions for the Grasshopper ice cream drink are included down below, too. It’s phenomenal either way.
Grasshopper Cocktail Ingredients:
Three simple ingredients=one fab cocktail.
- Crème de menthe: a bright green mint-flavored liqueur that’s usually tucked away in the very back of every single bar in the world. Its name implies that it’s creamy, but that’s not the case. ‘Crème’ liqueurs simply designate that they are higher in sugar than other liqueurs.
- Crème de cacao: a chocolate flavored liqueur that comes in clear and dark versions. Look for the clear version for Grasshopper martinis.
- Cream: heavy cream, light cream, or half and half. Depending on how creamy you want the finished product to be, you can use a richer cream or stick with half and half.
Grasshopper Cocktail history:
The French Quarter of New Orleans is to thank for so many culinary and cocktail inventions; the Grasshopper was first served at a NOLA bar called Tejague’s in 1918. It became more famous in the 1950s and 60s as word spread; it probably took that long because social media wasn’t invented yet!
Grasshopper Cocktail Variations:
All classic cocktails get fine-tuned, changed, and adapted by bartenders everywhere. The Grasshopper recipe is one with a bunch of delicious variations.
- A Vodka Grasshopper or Flying Grasshopper replaces the cream with vodka. You could make this drink with a chocolate vodka for a little more oomph.
- An After Eight adds a layer of dark chocolate liqueur to the crème de menthe, crème de cacao and cream. Because no one, no one at all, doesn’t like an After Eight.
- A popular cocktail called Girl Scout Cookie substitutes peppermint schnapps for crème de menthe.
- A Frozen Grasshopper adds mint ice cream to create a boozy milkshake. In fact, there’s never been a more delicious adult milkshake than the Frozen Grasshopper.
How to make a Grasshopper Cocktail (or Frozen Grasshopper) with ice cream:
- 4 cups of vanilla ice cream (or chocolate mint ice cream!)
- 1 1/2 ounces green crème de menthe
- 1 1/2 ounces crème de cocoa
- In a blender combine the vanilla ice cream, crème de menthe, and crème de cocoa.
- Pour into two chilled glasses and garnish with chocolate shavings.
Grasshopper Cocktail Recipe
- 3/4 ounce green creme de menthe
- 3/4 ounce white creme de cacao
- 3/4 ounce half-n-half or heavy cream
- Chocolate shavings for garnish
- In an ice-filled cocktail shaker, combine creme de menthe, white creme de cacao, and half-n-half. Shake vigorously until well chilled. Strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with chocolate shavings if desired and serve.