Savory cornbread cakes layered with sour cream and tangy, flavorful balsamic tomato salad. This mouth-watering combination is great for a light lunch or appetizer!
I’m showing you this recipe today in the hopes that you’ll try it.
It’s hard for me to explain in words (and even in pictures) how good this combination of cornbread, sour cream, and tomatoes in balsamic and fresh herbs tastes.
To quote the internet: It’s life-changing.
The cornbread cakes are soft and chewy, not gritty. They are strong enough to support the short stacks of balsamic salad without overpowering it.
I baked them in a muffin tin so they are reading in 12 minutes or so. Just pop them out and slice them in half lengthwise. If the tops puff up, you can trim them off so the cakes lay flat.
Balsamic Tomato Salad
Meanwhile, mix up a simple salad of juicy ripe tomatoes, crunchy cucumbers, and lots of fresh herbs. Marinate in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper: Just the basics.
Assemble the Stacks
To arrange the cakes, place a cake top (cut side UP) on a plate. Spread with sour cream, then top with the Balsamic Tomato Salad. Repeat with the remaining cake half, another dollop of sour cream, and more salad. Growling tummy over here.
If you’re serving these for lunch, I’d suggest 2 cake per person.
Or if you’re having lunch with me, perhaps you may have 2 and I’ll have 10?
Cornbread Cakes with Balsamic Tomato Salad Recipe
For the Cornbread Cakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup milk
For the Balsamic Tomato Salad:
- 2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/4 cup hot house cucumbers quartered lengthwise and finely chopped
- 3 scallions sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced fresh basil (chiffonade)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper liners if desired.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the flour mixture and add egg, oil, and milk. Stir until just combined and the batter is moistened, being careful not to over-mix.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin tin cups. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, scallions, basil, parsley, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss until evenly coated.
- To serve, cut each cake in half lengthwise. Spread 1 tablespoon sour cream on each half. Place one half on a plate and top with some Balsamic Tomato Salad. Add another cake half with sour cream, then top with additional salad.
- Repeat with remaining cakes and salad. Serves 6 as a main course or 12 as an appetizer.