With a homemade graham cracker crust and a creamy, no-bake filling, this frozen Chocolate Cream Pie is the ultimate make-ahead dessert!
I often identify as a sub-standard baker, so no-bake desserts are my go-to. And especially when it’s Grandma’s tried-and-true Chocolate Cream Pie, nothing can go wrong.
You have to make a decision on the crust: Make it from scratch or buy it, but once that gut-wrenching choice is over, the rest is easy. Whisk 6 ingredients in a bowl and you have pie!
The filling is perfectly balanced with a rich, chocolatey flavor from cocoa powder and the tang of cream cheese.
Faux dairy warning: Yes, this pie contains whipped topping. If this freaks you out, please check out my Frosty Chocolate Cheesecake. You’ll love it!
The pie needs to chill for a bit, but it can also chill for a lot.
Make it ahead, put it in the freezer, and pull it out right before you serve your next special dinner. Dessert will be ready and fabulous when need it most.
Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe
For the graham cracker crust:
- 9 graham crackers
- 5 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 8 ounces frozen whipped topping thawed
- Chocolate syrup for decorating, optional
To make the graham cracker crust:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a food processor, or in a plastic bag with a rolling pin, finely crush graham crackers.
- In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, butter, and sugar. Pour into a 9-inch pie plate, using the bottom of a measuring cup to press the crust evenly and firmly into the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate.
- Bake until golden brown and fragrant, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely, at least 1 hour.
To make the filling:
- In a large bowl combine sugar, cream cheese, and vanilla extract. Stir until evenly blended. Add cocoa powder and milk in alternating batches, a few tablespoons at a time, until evenly incorporated.
- Gently fold in whipped topping until well-combined. Pour into cooled crust and smooth the top with a spatula. Freeze at least 4 hours or until serving (up to 1 month in advance).
- Thaw for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing. Drizzle individual pieces with chocolate syrup if desired.