Vegetable Fried Rice with Brown Rice and Egg
This Vegetable Fried Rice is faster, cheaper, and easier than buying takeout! It only has 6 ingredients and takes less than 10 minutes from start to finish.
Every Bento Box needs a starch, and I thought Vegetable Fried Rice with brown rice and egg would be a nice complement to my Chicken Teriyaki. I chose brown rice because it has extra fiber and vitamins and I also included my favorite fried rice vegetables: carrots, peas, and onions. A quick seasoning with soy sauce and garlic powder, and it was ready to hit the proverbial table which in my case is a Bento Box.
In general, if I’m cooking with brown rice, I go with the short-grain kind. I first saw short-grain brown rice at P.F. Changs and I wondered how they got it be so, well, fluffy. I was directed to short grain brown rice by my friend (and cooking muse) Becca after she prepared it for my husband and me one evening. Short grain brown rice is not the easiest thing to find, and I’ve only ever seen it at Whole Foods. Becca’s other trick that she so generously shared is to cook the rice in chicken broth instead of in water (use vegetable broth to keep this dish vegetarian). This extra flavoring means that right out of the pot, your brown rice already tastes better than you thought it would. I make the rice well ahead of time so when I’m ready to cook, it’s waiting for me. I tend to make large batches of rice so it is available for eating throughout the week.
As for the rest of the ingredients, I always start with frozen peas, carrots, and onions in the pan. I soften them up, stir in the rice, and then clear out an empty space in the middle of the pan. This is how I see them make fried rice at Hibachi restaurants. In the space, I crack an egg and scramble it up right there. A few shakes of sauce soy, a few sprinkles of garlic powder, and the fried rice is ready! Other fried rice recipes use oyster sauce, ginger, or sesame oil, but I find they just muddle the dish. If I have scallions on hand, they make a pretty garnish. If not, no big deal.
And into the Bento Box the fried rice goes…
- 1 T. canola or olive oil
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots mix
- ½ cup frozen pearl onions (or chopped fresh onion)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 large egg
- 1-2 T. soy sauce
- 1-2 tsp. garlic powder
- In a large skillet or wok, heat the oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the peas, carrots, and onions and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the rice. Clear a space in the middle of the pan by moving the rice and vegetables to the edges.
- Crack the egg into the space and scramble until hardened, about 1 minute. Stir into the rice and vegetables.
- Pour 1 T. soy sauce evenly over the top of the rice and sprinkle with 1 tsp. garlic powder; toss to combine until heated through. Taste and adjust seasonings with additional soy sauce and garlic powder as desired. Serve immediately.