Basil Walnut Pesto
This Basil Walnut Pesto recipe comes together in 15 minutes with just 6 ingredients. Great for pasta, sandwich spreads, and garnishing soups!
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
Servings 16 servings
- 6 cloves garlic unpeeled (see notes)
- 1/2 cup walnuts (see notes)
- 4 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cup packed fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
To toast the garlic (optional):
Toast the garlic cloves in their skin in a small skillet over medium heat, shaking often, until brown spots form, about 5 minutes. Remove to a small bowl to cool before peeling.
To toast the walnuts (optional):
Meanwhile, return the skillet to medium heat and add walnuts. Toast until fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes, shaking frequently to prevent scorching. Remove from heat.
To make the pesto:
Combine peeled garlic, walnuts, basil, parsley, parmesan cheese, and olive oil in a blender or food processor; blend until smooth.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve as a topping on pasta (3/4 c. pesto per pound of pasta), as a spread on sandwiches, or as a garnish to soups.
- Toast the garlic and the walnuts is optional but recommended. If skipping these steps, peeling the garlic before adding to the food processor in Step 3.