Congo Bars Recipe
A legendary chocolate chip cookie bar with a devoted following, Congo Bars are exactly what to bake when you’re craving chocolate, nuts, and coconut. Some might say that nothing else even comes close to how good they are.
Servings 24 bars
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar packed
- 2 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups toasted shredded coconut (sweetened)
- 1 cup toasted pecans (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips (3 ounces)
Adjust oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9-inch by 13-inch baking pan with a foil sling and coat with nonstick spray.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, mix together butter and sugar. Whisk in eggs and vanilla until combined.
Using a rubber spatula, stir in the dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in coconut, pecans, and chips.
Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out slightly moist with a few crumbs attached, about 22 to 25 minutes. Rotate the pan halfway through baking time.
Cool completely in pan on a wire rack, about 2 hours. Remove from pan using foil sling and cut into 24 squares.