How to Carve a Turkey
Follow this simple, methodical tutorial for how to carve a turkey. Using a sharp carving knife, carve one side completely before moving on to the second side. Anyone can do it!
Servings 10 servings
For the turkey:
- 1 (14 pound) whole turkey roasted
On a large cutting board, place the turkey breast side up. Remove the truss. Begin carving one side of the turkey completely before moving on to the other side.
Removing the wing: Pull the wing away from the body and slice through the skin to locate the shoulder joint. Cut through the joint to remove the wing.
Removing the whole leg: Pull the leg away from the body and slice through the skin to locate the thigh joint. Cut through the joint to remove the entire leg.
Separating the thigh and leg: Cut through the joint that separates the drumstick from the thigh. Serve these pieces whole, or carve them by cutting off the meat in thin slices parallel to the bone.
Removing the breast: Cut along the breastbone while following the curvature of the bones. Using your hand or a carving fork, gently pull the breast meat away while using the knife to remove the meat from the ribs. Place turkey breast on the cutting board. For larger slices, slice the breast meat on an angle.
Repeat with the second side of the turkey. Arrange cut portions on a serving platter and pass the gravy separately.
- Resting: Let your roasted turkey rest, tented with foil, for 30 minutes before carving. It's a great time to make the gravy...
- Tools: Use a good, sharp carving knife and a two-pronged fork or your hand.
- One side at a time: It's easiest to carve one entire side of the first and then move on to the second side.
- Carving the breast on the bird: Just above the thigh and shoulder joints, carve a deep horizontal cut through the breast toward the bone to create a base cut. Starting near the breastbone, carve thin slices vertically, cutting downward to end each slice at the base cut.
Calories: 636kcal | Protein: 98g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 325mg | Sodium: 505mg | Potassium: 1010mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 252IU | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 4mg