Loose Meat Sandwich
Inspired by Maid-Rite in Iowa, Loose Meat Sandwiches are simple yet so very delicious. Make a batch in 10 minutes or less! Also slow cooker friendly.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 1 pound ground beef (85/15 recommended)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 hamburger buns, split for serving
- Ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, pickles for serving
In a large skillet, combine beef, water, mustard, sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Simmer over medium heat until the beef is cooked through, about 5 minutes, breaking up clumps of meat with a spoon. Stir in onion.
Serve meat on buns with toppings on the side such as ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, and pickles.
- Inspired by Maid-Rite. Adapted from Cook's Country Eats Local.
- To make Loose Meat Sandwiches in a slow cooker, brown beef and add to slow cooker. Add all remaining ingredients except buns to slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 2 to 3 hours. Serve in buns.