Vegetable Casserole, exactly the way my mom made it for big dinners and holidays. Frozen mixed veggies topped with Velveeta cheese and covered with buttery cracker crumbs, then baked until piping hot. Watch it disappear, scoop after cheesy, crunchy scoop.
Servings 8 servings
- 1 (16 ounce) bag broccoli frozen (see note 1)
- 1 (16 ounce) bag carrots frozen
- 1 (16 ounce) bag cauliflower frozen
- 1 (16 ounce) package Velveeta cheese sliced (see note 2)
- 1 roll Ritz crackers crushed (see note 3)
- 1/4 cup butter melted (1/2 stick)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large microwave-safe bowl, add broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower and stir to combine. Microwave uncovered on high until the vegetables are warm, about 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish.
Evenly place the sliced Velveeta cheese over the vegetables. In a medium bowl, add Ritz crackers melted butter and toss to combine. Sprinkle over Velveeta cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and cracker topping is golden brown, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Frozen vegetables: Package sizes may vary, so aim for about 48 ounces total (3 pounds, about 9 cups) of frozen broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots.
- Velveeta: 🎶 It's Velveeta versus cheddar. Our Velveeta melts much better. 🎶
- Crackers: Or substitute Homemade bread crumbs.
- Fresh vegetables: Instead of using frozen, go ahead and make the casserole with your favorite mix of fresh vegetables. Just be sure to blanch them in boiling water until they're tender, then drain and pat dry. You will need about 9 cups of chopped vegetables to make the recipe. (See my tutorial on how to blanch broccoli for more information.)
- Other vegetables: Go ahead and shop the freezer aisle for different varieties of vegetables to use: julienned bell peppers, green beans, or peas.
Calories: 178kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 967mg | Potassium: 196mg | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 831IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 328mg | Iron: 1mg